Cowichan Green Community in Duncan, BC is seeking a KinPark Urban Farm Supervisor!
ABOUT Cowichan Green Community
We are currently selling beautiful KinPark produce and preserves in the reFRESH Cowichan Marketplace (360 Duncan St., Duncan). Garlic, greens, squashes, dried herbs, pickled beets, and more! You can also order our products on Cow-op.ca or visit our harvest to order on-site market cart at 5789 Alderlea Street.
This position will work primarily outdoors in adverse and varying weather conditions, but there will be time in an office environment as well. Standing for long periods of time will be required. Lifting to 50 lbs. will be required.
From humble beginnings in 2013, the KinPark Youth Urban Farm has blossomed into an urban agriculture demonstration site and working farm, based on the growing principles of permaculture. Open to all members of the public, we utilize this space to increase local food access, train young people in sustainable agriculture, and create youth-led opportunities that serve the environment and surrounding community. As we work to transform the park into an edible oasis, we also strive to create connections with community partners. We collaborate on workshops, events and programs that bring value, skills and connection to Cowichan families and youth.
The ideal candidate has:
- Previous family/youth programming experience
- Previous garden and/or farm work experience
- Good organizational skills
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the Internet
- Knowledge and understanding of biology, botany, permaculture and/or food security an asset
- Previous work at a community non-profit organization an asset
- Horticulture: basic familiarity with crop production, common garden plants, safe tool use, pest management, soil/compost management, harvesting and processing vegetables for market, and planting, pruning, and fertilizing for perennial and annual plants.
- ECE or similar educational background an asset
- Outdoor education background an asset
- First Aid and Foodsafe
- Strong marketing and small business skills and experience.
- Proven facilitation, communication, and workshop leadership skills.
- Supervisory experience.
- Wage subsidy eligibility an asset.
Program Management (Average 10 hours per week):
- Deliver educational farm activities for groups and individuals, including planning, scheduling, and facilitating including collaborating with Cowichan High School to foster a working relationship with Environmental Stewardship and Earth Sciences
- Coordinate workshops and learning opportunities
- Promote programs including press releases, website, posters, social media etc.
- Conduct community outreach and project coordination
- Coordinate programs in collaboration with other organizations
- Ensure all volunteers complete their paperwork and submit them to the volunteer coordinator
- Communicate with bylaw officers, RCMP and North Cowichan on park conditions or concerns at the site
- Communicate with community partners, community members, and park visitors
- Assist with KinPark Kids Camp supervision and other activates as required
- Complete budgets and track volunteer hours and expenses
Youth Urban Farm Planning and Production (Average 20 hours per week):
- Oversee general day-to-day operations of the farm including planting, watering, weeding, harvesting, marketing, etc.
- Oversee ongoing construction at the farm
- Assist with marketing materials such as advertisements, posters, webpages, etc.
- Maintain first aid kit, ensure there is a first aid attendant on each shift
- Maintain hygiene of facilities including bathroom and mini-kitchen area
- Create documents for crop production
- Update policy and procedures as required
- Update and coordinate sales on Cow-Op
- Update Square and do weekly balanced cash outs
- Arrange to preserve extra crops as required
Kinsmen Community Gardens Management (Average 2-25 hours per week):
- Coordinate and manage annual bed registration
- Complete administrative support addressing questions and concerns of community garden members
- Coordinate work parties, repairs, and general community garden maintenance as required
- Orient and train all new employees, interns and volunteers on practices and protocols.
- Supervise, and schedule all staff and volunteers
- Train all staff, volunteers, inters, and other program participants on all tools and equipment.
- 30-69-90 day reviews, stay interviews, exit interviews, and weekly one on ones with all staff.
- Outreach to farms in the area, recruiting new farms, and selling advertising
- Communicate with bookkeeper for invoicing and collecting payments
- Compiling all farm application info
- Laying out the map
- Liaising with graphic designer and printer
- Distributing maps throughout the region
- Writing press releases/assisting with creating promotional material for the website and the Valley Voice etc.
- Communicate clearly with staff, clients, and Management.
- Keep the General Manager fully informed on the status of the client sites.
- Advise the General Manager immediately with any safety, health, thefts, or other vandalism issues.
- Perform other duties as required by the General Manager.
Term: Permanent position starting mid April 2022
Hours per week: 35 hours Monday to Friday with some evening and/or weekend work.
Vacation and sick days as outlined in CGC’s Employee Handbook.
Monthly allowance of $25 for food at reFRESH Marketplace.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Deadline to apply: March 20
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Cowichan Green Community