Cowichan Green Community in Duncan, British Columbia is seeking a Garden Education Centre Supervisor!
ABOUT Cowichan Green Community
The Garden Education Centre is a small scale farm with greenhouses as well as an education centre. We are a non-profit who seeks to run this social enterprise as a self sustaining business. The focus is on native and medicinal plants and food. GEC also has a seed hub.
The GEC is a certified organic farm and greenhouse that focuses on education and inclusion of the community.
Cowichan Green Community Society, (CGC) is a non-profit organization that has been focusing on environmental sustainability in the Cowichan Region since 2004.
We envision a food secure Cowichan nourished by celebrating our connection to food, to our environment and to each other. Cowichan Green Community cultivates resilient, inclusive and healthy local food systems and vibrant social fabric. Our Mission is to cultivate food, community, and resilience.
CGC is a hub for social innovation, community engagement and community building. Our food security projects include the creation of food policy documents such as the Cowichan Food Charter and the Cowichan Food Security Plan, projects like reFRESH Food Recovery, FruitSave – a fruit gleaning project- and community gardens. We also run educational programs like our KinPark Kid’s Camp, and organize Seedy Saturdays to promote the role of ecological agriculture in the local community.
Experience and Knowledge:
• A valid BC driver’s license is required.
• Extensive skills and knowledge in agriculture practices.
• Post-secondary graduate.
• Strong marketing and small business skills and experience.
• Proven facilitation, communication, and workshop leadership skills.
• Strong Project Management experience.
• Supervisory experience.
• Excellent knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the Internet.
• Two or more years of work at a community non-profit organization.
• Wage subsidy eligibility an asset.
Skills and Competencies:
• Adaptability: Demonstrates a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
• Relationship Building: Establishes and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the program
• Communication: Speaks, listens and writes in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques
• Creativity/Innovation: Develops new and unique ways to promote the program and engage community
• Volunteer Supervision: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to engage and inspire volunteers to assist with programs
• Organizational Skills: Sets priorities, develops a work schedule, monitors progress towards goals, and tracks details, data, information and activities
• Problem Solving: Assesses problem situations to identify causes, gathers and processes relevant information, generates possible solutions, and makes recommendations to the Manager and/or resolves the problem.
Overview: This position will report directly to the General Manager and is responsible for the supervision of Cowichan Green Community’s Garden Education Center (GEC) located at 2431 Beverly Street, Duncan, BC. This position is a full time, contract staff position.
Duties: This position will be accountable for the following:
• Maintain a POS system and inventory tracking for nursery stock and packaged seed.
• Process sales reports and cash out daily. Transfer deposits to bookkeeper weekly.
• Ensure market cart is set out daily with marketing strategies for sales.
• Pick and deliver orders for Cow-Op and update availability weekly online.
• Deliver or arrange delivery of plants and seeds to reFRESH Cowichan Marketplace.
• Provide excellent customer service.
• Supervise, schedule, and organize work for volunteers, interns, and other program participants.
• Organize school student’s activities with other staff and JCP participants.
• Orient and train new employees on practices and protocols.
• Operate machinery and train others on the safe operation: BCS, line trimmer, etc.
• Manage Equipment Lending Library, including organizing rentals, cleaning and maintaining equipment.
• Build, maintain and repair buildings, machinery, and irrigation on site.
• Coordinate between CGC and any operations occurring on site, Food Hub construction, etc.
• Maintain security: tracking keys, locking up at the end of day, monitoring security cameras, logging instances, reporting to local RCMP.
• Maintain first aid training and logging any accidents, reporting any WCB issues, and monitoring health and safety of any people on site.
• Establish and implement operational manual/policies and procedures.
• Follow all sanitary requirements for the property – ie. COVID-19 protocols, etc
• Establish and follow a watering, fertilizing, harvesting, and pruning schedule for gardens and fruit trees.
• Plan and follow planting schedules for Seed Hub and GEC.
• Estimate annual sales with a timeline for when plants are ready for sale.
• Purchase, harvest, test, and package seeds for sale.
• Maintain organic integrity of site as per Island Organic Producers Association (IOPA) standards and renew certification annually.
• Keep extensive crop records for all plants and compile for IOPA inspection annually.
• Oversee Seed Library production and sales of seed stock of Seed Farm and maintain plant/seed stock as required and within approved budget.
• Produce annual Seed and Plant catalogue with assistance from other staff and participants
• Oversee all plant, seed, nursery stock production.
• Grow and harvest food from greenhouses.
• Keep records of expenses and coordinate with bookkeeper to maintain budget.
• Write a monthly Board Report to relay relevant news by the first Friday of the month and submit to the Executive Director.
• Communicate clearly with participants, staff, and management.
• Keep the General Manager fully informed on the status of the site.
• Advise the General Manager immediately with any safety, health, thefts, or other vandalism issues.
• Design and/or update all marketing materials pertaining to GEC operations including:
o Retail signage / merchandising
o Informational / educational signage
o Updating seed catalogue annually
o Media Releases
• Perform other duties as required by the General Manager.
Term: Start date is asap on contract until December 31, 2021 with the option to renew.
Hours per week: 35
Wage: $23 base wage + free food
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: June 15
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Cowichan Green Community