Salt & Harrow Farm Inc. in Delta, British Columbia is seeking Experienced Field Hands!
ABOUT Salt & Harrow Farm Inc.
Salt & Harrow Farm is a certified organic vegetable farm in Tsawwassen, BC. 20 acres are devoted to vegetable production, with over 50 varieties of vegetables, legumes, fruits, and herbs. We sell our produce at six farmers markets, to restaurants, our Salt & Harrow Storehouse, and through a CSA membership program.
Our mission is to provide local customers with a full vegetarian diet of artisan quality organic fruits and vegetables. We hope our food is a reflection of the place in which it is grown and the joy we take in growing it. By caring for the soil we strive to produce nourishing food, made by land, healthy soil and hard working farmers.
While some exposure to commercial agriculture is preferred, it is not required as long as one has a good attitude and work ethic.
Our ideal candidate has:
- A serious interest in farming as a lifestyle and/or livelihood
- Physical ability to carry out farm tasks (repetitive tasks, lifting 50 lbs. repeatedly during the day, crouching and bending for long periods)
- Lots of energy and is highly motivated
- A mind for efficiency
- Attention to detail and ability to understand and execute quality standards
- Open and positive communication skills
- Willingness to learn
- A friendly personality and willingness to spend time with customers, chefs, and CSA members
- Class 5 Drivers License
- Ability to work outside for long periods of time in all weather conditions
- Be punctual; be prepared to work at the designated time, with the necessary tools, and proper clothing. Closed toed shoes are required at all times on the farm
- Sense of humor!
Our Field Hands will be expected to develop a wide variety of skills: greenhouse seedling production, field planting, weeding and harvesting, produce deliveries, as well as building and repairing infrastructure. Be prepared for physically demanding work, rain or shine. We are committed to sharing our knowledge and promoting advancement for our employees. We work hard and want to share the rewards of this profession with aspiring farmers.
- Potting mix preparation and propagation seeding
- Field and greenhouse planting
- Trellising and staking of crops
- Cultivation and weed control
- Organic pest control application and moving of row covers
- Harvesting and crop handling
- Post harvest washing, packing, and basic harvest record keeping
- Farmers market customer service and cash register operation
- Rotating farm chores (harvesting, propagation watering, mowing and farm maintenance)
Term: The positions begin between April – May and will end November 1st. We cannot make commitments for work beyond the end date although, for those who display a keen interest and a proven track record, there is the opportunity for advancement and year-round employment. The work will vary during the season as each change in temperature provides a new focus for the work that needs to be done. We work in a rural community with access to public transit but access to reliable transportation is preferred.
Hours per week: The full-time position will be a minimum of 40 hrs/week, up to 60 hrs/week, with availability required for weekend markets. Due to the seasonal nature of the farm, we are not able to accommodate vacations during peak season.
Wage: Starting wage is $18/hr, depending on experience, with 4% vacation pay and access to on farm vegetables.
Please submit resume & cover letter (optional) to firstname.lastname@example.org with brief answers to the following questions:
1. What is your future goal in agriculture?
2. What are you hoping to take away from this experience?
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Salt & Harrow Farm Inc.