Dancing Dandelion Farms in Duncan, BC is looking for a full-time Vegetable and Flower Farm Worker for the 2019 season!
ABOUT DANCING DANDELION FARMS
Dancing Dandelion Farms is a 5 acre farm located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley. We are
surrounded by wineries and mountains, and are only a short drive to lakes, rivers and the
ocean. We have a diverse farm focusing on cut flower and vegetable production. We sell at
farmer’s markets, to restaurants, floral designers, our own farm stand and our flower
subscription (CSA) program. We also design florals for weddings and events.
We are hiring someone who has a keen interest in learning the skills to grow vegetables and flowers or are interested in one day starting their own farm. We will provide mentoring and training through hands on experience. You will learn to grow food and flowers using natural inputs without synthetic herbicides and pesticides.
Our farm involves using a wide variety of skills including seed starting, transplanting, weeding, harvesting, washing bins/produce, making bouquets and packaging produce. Farming at Dancing Dandelion requires a real appreciation for attention to detail and good food. We will be working outdoors in all weather conditions and the work is very physically demanding. We look forward to sharing our knowledge and passion of growing with you.
While some exposure to market gardening/agriculture is preferred, it is not necessary as long as
the candidate has a positive attitude and strong work ethic. The ideal candidate has:
- A keen eye for detail and quality.
- Positive attitude and works well in a team.
- Physical ability to carry out farm tasks such as lifting, kneeling and bending (repetitive tasks, lifting 50 lbs. repeatedly during the day).
- A serious interest in farming as a lifestyle.
- The ability to work efficiently.
- Openness to learn and take direction.
- Friendly and can communicate well with other staff and customers visiting the farm.
- Willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions for long periods.
- Arrive on time with the proper clothing. Closed toe shoes are required at all times.
- As we are hoping to be funded by a youth grant, workers need be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment and be a Canadian Citizen, a permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred. Note that if you are over 30 years of age, you can still apply, if you believe you would be a good fit for the position.
- Mixing potting soil and seeding trays
- Transplanting new seedlings
- Pruning and trellising crops
- Laying landscape fabric and putting on row covers
- Harvesting flowers and vegetables
- Post-harvest washing, packing and record keeping
- Additional farm chores such as watering, mowing, tidying up harvest areas etc.
Term: The position begins April 29 and ends on October 4 (if available to start on April 1, that is an option).
Weekly hours: This is a full-time, seasonal position, approximately 30 hrs/week, Tuesday through Friday, with some room for flexibility if help is needed at the farmers markets or with weekend chores. You must be willing to start as early as 6:30am on summer harvest days, and be reliable and stick to a schedule.
Wage: Employees are paid $14/hr and have access to extra vegetables and flowers. There is potential to extend into the winter season.
If you are interested in applying, please have a look at the farm website and check us out on social media (see links below).
Send your resume along with a cover letter to email@example.com
Deadline: February 20th. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, so we suggest applying early as the position may be filled before then.
Please answer the following questions as part of your cover letter:
- What about farming interests you the most and how does farming fit into your future?
- What previous agriculture experience do you have?
- Are you most interested in learning about vegetables or flowers and why?
Thank you for applying! We receive many resumes and cannot respond to all applicants. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Learn More About Dancing Dandelion Farms
View other farm jobs and apprenticeships here.