This position has been filled.
Tatlo Road Farm in Crofton and Duncan, BC is seeking a Farm Worker!
ABOUT Tatlo Road Farm
Our farm is located on Vancouver Island, near the village of Crofton (population ~2000). We’re also about 20 minutes from Duncan and there’s public transportation that stops right at the farm. We currently grow on about 3 of our 7 acres, producing over 40 different vegetable crops- the whole gamut really. We have two greenhouses (and may be building more this fall) where we grow heat-loving crops in summer and some greens over winter. We use our 40hp tractor for tillage and many other jobs (laying mulch, turning compost, etc), as well as a 7hp BCS for mowing and tilling in tight spaces, plus a lot of human power. Last year we began construction on an improved wash/pack area, which we plan to complete this summer- we value having a comfortable and efficient work space for these tasks.
Our main marketing outlets are the Duncan Farmers Market, as well as a ~70 member CSA, and one major wholesale account. 2021 will be our 9th year in business, but in some ways we still consider our’s a new farm; we are still growing in terms of production and marketing and we are also still busy installing and improving infrastructure- each year we have new projects on the go. That said we also have 8 years of experience working on other farms prior to starting our own, so we have lots of knowledge to share. If you are interested in a career in farming yourselves (which we hope you are!), this is a great opportunity to be involved in the continued development of a viable farm- learn first-hand what it takes to run a sustainable farm for a living!
Our farm is Certified Organic with the Island Organic Producers Association (IOPA). We worked on various certified organic farms throughout BC prior to starting our own and have great appreciation for the farmers that started before us and developed the certification process. We are also active members of our farmer’s market and the Cowichan Agricultural Society. In addition, we feel strongly about selling high quality, beautiful and delicious produce. In general, our overall goal is to run a farm that is efficient, financially successful (i.e. able to support our family), and beautiful- an ethical farm business that’s built on ecology, integrity, and quality.
Our ideal candidates would:
- care about the quality of their work and pay special attention to detail
- have the ability to follow instruction well, but not be afraid to stop and ask for clarification
- show initiative and the ability to think ahead as a way to improve overall efficiency of tasks
- work fast, and be thinking about ways to work even faster
- have the ability to maintain focus throughout long stretches of repetitive tasks (think harvesting hundreds of carrot bunches, without losing count or letting quality slip)
- be receptive to feedback and adjustments for work processes
- be neat, tidy, and organized
- have a general love of food, working outdoors, and being physical
- be interested in agriculture and learning about the type of farming we practice
- be a team player and generally want to do good work
- previous farm experience not required, but can be an asset as well as general experience working outdoors and with plants
- this position was made possible by the Canada Summer Jobs program and eligible applicants must be Canadian citizens and 30 years old or younger
Tasks will include harvesting, washing and packing vegetables, including packing for our CSA, as well as starting seedlings, field planting, weeding, and general crop maintenance (pruning, etc.).
Term: Ideally this position would start June 14, but we have some flexibility around the specific start date.
Hours per week: We have funding for a full-time position for 8 weeks (with the possibility of extension), or a part-time position for approximately 18 weeks (until about mid October), so we are open to discussion.
Please let us know if you are interested in working full or part-time. If full-time, the schedule is generally Monday-Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
Wage: The wage is $15.20/hour.
Perks include free veg, coffee or tea at lunch, occasional baked treats, and the semi -regular post-work beverage and chips!
To apply for a position email us at email@example.com with:
- Your contact information
- A cover-letter or email highlighting your qualifications for this role
- Your resume
- The name, relationship, and contact information for two references
- Please confirm that you meet the eligibility criteria (Canadian citizen and 30 years old or younger)
- The date you are available to start and an end date, if any
Deadline to apply: June 15 or until positions are filled
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Tatlo Road Farm