Cranbrook Urban Farm in Cranbrook, BC is seeking a Food Producer & Processor Career Internship!
ABOUT Cranbrook Urban Farm
The Cranbrook Urban Farm is located in Cranbrook and will be producing greens and lettuce year-round using a controlled environment hydroponic system. The farm is run by a social nonprofit organization, and a portion of all produce is distributed through food aid organizations to community members free of charge.
- Passion for food and an understanding of food systems, an interest in supporting local initiatives that enhance food systems and community resilience.
- Knowledge of or a willingness to learn hydroponic farming, urban gardening, and
- kKnowledge of or a willingness to learn food safety, food processing and kitchen management.
- Education or past experiences in food production and processing (Agricultural Sciences, Agriculture Technology, Agricultural Management, Land and Food Systems or other related area)
- Interest or experience in the non-profit sector and social enterprise
- Strong problem-solving, critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well with others, as a team member and independently.
- Advanced computer skills and technological literacy with the ability to learn new platforms and programs
- Physical abilities to carry out the duties of the position.
- Be residing in the Columbia Basin Trust region when the internship starts
- Successful criminal record screening
- Valid Driver’s license and current Drivers Abstract
- Food Safe, First Aid, and CPR certifications an asset
- Assist with the development and management of the community meals program.
- Engage with staff cooks to support the use of recovered food to create and distribute
450 community meals/week.
- Support the operation of the urban farm project including operation and maintenance of the hydroponic systems and the use of composting equipment.
- Support urban farm social enterprise development including business design.
- Support activities including food production, distribution and volunteer engagement at the Cranbrook Public Produce Garden.
- Liaise with community partners to link food production with food literacy opportunities
Term: ASAP, for 50 weeks
Hours per week: 30 hrs per week
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: Oct 20, 2023
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Cranbrook Urban Farm