This position has been filled.
Sparrow Grass Farm in Courtenay, BC is seeking two Farm helpers/pickers for the 2021 season! (Full-time and part-time positions available)
ABOUT Sparrow Grass Farm
Sparrow Grass is a new operation, and primary crop is asparagus. We are family run and operated and are excited about beginning a new (ad)venture. Set at the edges of Seal Bay Nature Park, Sparrow Grass Farm has beautiful views of the mountains, lots of trees, and green and golden fields in the summer. We have a tractor, and a lot of hand tools! There are lots of trails to walk and a beach down the road. We are working on our social media right now, so you won’t find us with a google search just yet!
We are certified organic and believe in keeping food as close as we can to how nature intended. We believe strongly in eating locally when possible, but life also needs to sometimes be easy! Most of all, we wanted a farm to raise our kids and to have fun with some critters, and to be part of a larger community of food producers in the Comox Valley.
Asparagus is best picked first thing in the morning when it is cool. Employees will be expected to be up early to pick, but will have the hottest hours of the day out of the sun.
Our ideal employee would be:
- hard working
- open minded
- responsible and trustworthy
- keen to grown with us and come back to work next year
- able to communicate effectively, whether to share ideas or problem solve issues
- comfortable around kids, a dog, animals
- any training in Food Safety or First Aid would be a plus
- picking asparagus by hand
- helping with sorting/packing/shipping
- coordinating pick ups at the farm
- running irrigation
- help in the garden
- using the tractor
- possibly, but less likely, tending to farm animals
- at all times, operate according to farm and food safety protocols
Term: Start date is April 24 to early June 30. Possibility to extend based on need and interest for post-harvest work.
Hours per week: 30-40 hours per week. Part-time pickers would also be welcome. 15-20 hours per week.
Wage: Farm hands will be offered minimum wage plus accommodation. If accommodation is not needed, then we can chat.
Please submit a resume and cover letter, along with references. to firstname.lastname@example.org
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org