Snowy Mountain Farm in Cawston, BC is seeking a permanent Orchard Manager!
ABOUT Snowy Mountain Farm
Snowy Mountain Farm is a 25 acre organic farm located 10 minutes south of Cawston, BC. The setting is picturesque and quiet, sitting at the foot of Snowy Mountain and within walking distance of the Similkameen River, great for cooling down on hot summer days. We have 12 acres of orchard, growing a diverse collection of new and heritage varieties of apples, quince, pears, plums, peaches, apricots, and nectarines and plan on planting an additional small vineyard this year.
Most of the work on the farm is done by hand, though we do use a tractor and some tractor implements when necessary.
We sell our fruit mainly at Vancouver farmer’s markets in collaboration with Farm Circle Organics, as well as through a CSA program.
The farm has been grown organically for 35 years. We believe in land stewardship, diversity, promoting soil health, and building a balanced ecosystem, in order to grow delicious and nutritious food. We strive to care for our environment, as well as create a respectful, inclusive and joyful workplace.
- Must have extensive experience working in orchards and be capable of pruning, thinning and picking varied kinds of orchard fruit. Preference will be given to applicants that have managed orchards and orchard crews.
- Must know how to operate a tractor
- Capable of managing a crew
- Communicates clearly and fairly with the crew
- Self motivated
- Always willing to learn more
- Fit for physical labour
- Cares about quality and a job well done
- Keen interest in permaculture
Tasks will vary from day to day and change throughout the seasons but will include the following:
- Manage orchard crew (between 1-4 people, depending on the time of season)
- Pruning (various kinds of tree fruit)
- Blossom thinning
- Fruit Thinning
- Running/checking Irrigation
- Mulch spreading
- Weed whacking
- Lifting heavy boxes
- Packing and loading truck for market
Term: This is a permanent position and will start beginning of March 2021.
Hours per week: 40 hours/week on average (overtime given if hours exceed 40)
Wage: -$22/hr with potential for pay increases after annual reviews
-Access to farm fruit for personal use, as well as space to grow your own garden
-On farm accommodation is available
Please submit a resumé with a brief cover letter and 2-3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: March 15, 2021
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Snowy Mountain Farm