Are you interested to learn about organic pasture raised meat production? Lost Savanna Farm is now hiring a full time employee.
About Lost Savanna Farm
Our 73 acre Certified Organic, Certified Demeter farm is devoted to raising animals on pasture to produce the highest quality meat (chicken, pork and beef) and eggs. We sell our meat primarily through a 75 member monthly meat CSA and at the farmers market on Saturdays. The farm is a diverse mix of pasture, silvopasture, forest, permaculture orchard, household garden, ponds and wetlands. We are not hobby farmers. We eat, live, and sleep farming… this is all we do.
Find out more about Lost Savanna Farm: www.lostsavannafarm.com
Successful candidate should:
- have an interest in organic food and farming
- show strong initiative
- have excellent communication skills
- have some leadership experience
- pay close attention to detail
- it would be an asset to have prior machine/equipment/tool training or experience
- be willing to work off hours and weekends
- be able to lift and carry 50lbs (23kg)
- possess a valid BC Driver’s Licence
Working on our farm, you will be:
- working with multiple species of livestock in a pasture setting on a daily basis
- feeding, watering, and moving animals on pasture
- collecting, washing, and packing eggs
- may be working with various types of equipment including tractor, skid steer, truck and trailer, hand tools.
- may be involved in other aspects of the farm that could include selling product, packing/labeling product, farmers market vending, deliveries, orchard/garden work, euthanizing sick animals and slaughtering.
TERM: Starting immediately until the end of October with potential for a permanent job offer at the end of the season.
WAGE: Starting at $16 an hour.
START DATE: Immediately
HOURS: 25-40 hours a week, depending on the week’s activities.
LOCATION AND AMENITIES
The Comox Valley area around us has beautiful beaches, rivers, forests, hiking, snowboarding/skiing, surfing, whale watching, fishing and more. We are located about a 10 minute car ride to the closest amenities and 20 minutes from Courtenay, a city of 30,000 people. A personal vehicle is suggested if you want to explore Vancouver Island. If you don’t bring a vehicle, there are bus systems to get you around and we have bikes for your use.
We would appreciate a brief email about your interests and a resume. Thank you!