Dixon Creek Farm & Market Garden in Barriere, BC is seeking a Market Garden Team Member!
ABOUT Dixon Creek Farm & Market Garden
Our main sales channel is out box program, which is a 19 week program that provides fresh, naturally grown vegetables to 120 weekly customers ranging from Clearwater to Kamloops. We offer home delivery as well as pickup points on the farm and throughout Kamloops. We may have a few restaurant contracts as well this year. Our focus is on providing a quality product for our customers, and we are constantly working to improve our product and service.
We currently have 2 acres in production, as well as one large (72×26) greenhouse and one small (10×36) starter greenhouse. We grow a wide array of vegetables and herbs as well as some strawberries. Machinery we use include a rototiller, wheedwhacker, and various hand tools such as a wheel hoe, seeders, etc.
We are a family run farm, and our goal is to produce fresh, naturally grown food for our CSA and restaurant customers. We are not certified organic but use organic principles and our fertilizers and any pest control methods that we purchase are certified for organic use. We’re pretty much organic without the label!
- Have a passion for sustainable agriculture!
- Be able to work in Canada
- Be able to lift 30+ lbs
- Have a good attitude and positive work ethic
- Be eager to learn
- Have reliable transportation to and from workNo farm experience is required – we love to teach new people!
- Weeding: we use a large assortment of hand tools for weeding. This is our most common task on the farm.
- Compost spreading/bed preparation/natural fertilizer application
- Tomato and Cucumber pruning
- Seeding: this includes both seeding outside with a hand-operated seeder as well as seeding in trays in the greenhouse
- Harvest: our box program runs from June 7th to October 11th, and the boxes go out on Wednesdays. Generally, we will harvest Tuesdays but for larger/more intensive harvests this may spill over into Monday. Most of our vegetables are cleaned in our wash & pack station before going to the cooler or being packed into bins.
- Field/bed cleanup. This happens when a bed has been harvested, and also includes cleanup around the field such as trimming grass.
- Laying tarp: some of our items are planted into tarps for weed control.
- Transplanting: all of our lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, fennel, leeks, squash, brassicas, celery, chard and herbs are transplanted from our greenhouse.
- General cleanup: we regularly clean our vegetable storage bins, cooler, greenhouses and tool shed.
- General plant care: pest control (natural pest control such as sticky tape), watering, health monitoring, etc.
- And more!
Term: May 15th – October 13th, 2023. Please note that we can be flexible around school schedules/less hours in the fall – please discuss this with me if needed
Hours per week: Varying, generally 35 hours per week. In the spring, work hours will be from 8:00am – 5:30 pm or 6:00 pm. However, this may change depending on the weather/tasks as we can’t work with vegetables in extreme heat. We generally take between ½ hr to 1 hr for lunch at 12 pm. We can be open to some flexibility – please discuss with me if this is something you’re interested in!
Work schedule: Usually four days per week, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. Please note that we may ask you to come in on the occasional Wednesday/Saturday (you won’t work more than 5 days/week) if need be but we will check to make sure this works with your schedule before confirming.
Wage: Compensation: $17.00/hr, as well as 1 Box Program weekly vegetable share
If room and board is required we may be able to work something out. Please contact us for more information.
Please send resume to email@example.com
Deadline to apply: March 15th
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Dixon Creek Farm & Market Garden