Aslan Organics in Chilliwack, BC is hiring two Farm Hands for the 2019 season!
About Aslan Organics
Shane and Emma of Aslan Organics are agrarians committed to the local production and access of Certified Organic vegetables and Heritage Rainbow eggs. Our privilege of farming in the Fraser Valley of British Columbia is a dream we thought we would have to wait for most of our life to experience. Yet, we find ourselves nestled at the Yarrow Ecovillage living out this discovery of self and purpose.
Aslan Organics expands its team this year, adding two positions of Farm Hands to meet the needs of our growing farm. The right candidate for our team will be someone capable of believing in the value and contribution of local, certified organic food. Food production is a difficult industry–long hours, difficult work, and inclement weather–but is such an important piece of local culture. At Aslan Organics, you’re joining a farm that believes in knowing their community, proven by our participation in 3 markets under 75km from our farm, as well as our thriving CSA.
The ideal candidate:
- Can execute complex tasks with efficiency and without missing steps
- Can learn quickly and self manage
- Is punctual
- Has great attention to detail
- Is hardworking
- Is trustworthy
- Is fun and good spirited
- Has good customer service during markets
- Has simple math skills
The Farm Hand at Aslan Organics will participate in the general activities of certified organic mixed vegetable production at our farm at the Yarrow Ecovillage. At the conclusion of our working relationship, our Farm Hand will be capable of:
- Participating in general, labour and physically intensive tasks related to crop production. This includes use of dangerous equipment and tools.
- Participate in harvest tasks under supervision of the Harvest Manager. The correct candidate will learn proper harvesting methods, quantities, processing methods, and storage methods for the products harvested on our farm. This includes heavy lifting.
- Execute complex tasks with efficiency and without missing steps.
- Participate in the organization, planning, and execution of three summer agriculture events (Farm Tours) at the farm.
- Participate in weekend farmers markets in the lower mainland; operate a cash drawer system.
- Using general hand tools (specialized) to complete bed prep, weeding, and harvesting tasks
- Performing harvest tasks that include sharp tools (knives, serrated open blades)
- Bed prep includes use of a dangerous tiller, primarily operated by the owners
- Operation of a weed eater
- A drivers license (to get to and from work, as well as to drive to market) is crucial
Term: Start April 23. Duration is currently 16 weeks, but if the person is available to stay until later (into late November), the work is available.
Hours: 40 hours/week
Housing: Housing at the Yarrow Ecovillage is an option for those who would like it, at a cost of $500 / month. If housing is required, additional steps to a relocation process will need to be taken. Please email or call to get more details.
Resume and cover letters must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications due March 1, 2019.
Applicants must ALSO follow up with a phone call: 778.808.6093.
Failure to follow up with a phone call will result in an “incomplete” application.
Learn More About Aslan Organics
View other farm jobs and apprenticeships here.