Field House Brewing Co. in Abbotsford, BC is seeking a Farm Hand!
ABOUT Field House Brewing Co.
Field House Farm is a diverse operation consisting of 2 acres of malting grains, a vineyard, 2 mixed orchards, assorted perennial fruits, a small flock of laying hens, ¼ acre of mixed production market gardens and an unheated greenhouse for year-round production. The farm’s production plan is structured around the needs, wants and foodie dreams of the Canteen and Brewing team – we grow what they want to cook and brew with. We also sell our surplus crops from our brewery and at local markets.
As purveyors of the Good Life at Field House we work to ensure balance for our team and add value to their lives, and these values extend directly to our farming practices. We care deeply about supporting our local agriculture community and sourcing as locally and sustainably as possible. We believe that the flavour that comes through on the plate and in our beers is a direct product of the inputs and how it was grown in the first place. We love our community, and believe that if we can showcase the viability of small parcels of under-utilized ALR land in the Fraser Valley and the direct relationship in supporting a small restaurant and brewery can and will inspire others to do the same!
We utilize minimal-till methods in the garden, and will work to build our soils through regular additions of compost and green manures. Our farm’s goal is to grow a variety of beautiful and delicious produce using methods that encourage healthy soil biology, increase biodiversity and contribute to the creation of a healthy farm ecosystem. Although we have chosen not to certify, we employ organic practices.
- Minimum 1 season’s worth of hands on experience on small scale, mixed production farms.
- Self directed and task oriented
- Willingness and passion to learn
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work well in either a team environment or alone
- Experience in fast paced environment
- Able to perform physical labour, including repetitive tasks
- Passion for farming and growing local food!
- Bed prep, seeding and transplanting starts
- Weeding and irrigation set-up
- Pruning trees and vines
- Maintaining cleanliness on farm
- Weekly harvesting (washing, weighing, storage)
- Delivery to restaurant and brewery and communication with team
Term: May 1 – October, 2022
Hours per week: Part time – 16-20 hours/week (flexible, depending on high / low season)
As part of the Field House team, perks include:
- 4L per month of Growler or Crowler fills
- 2 free 16oz Field house beers ANY time ANY day (in replacement of your 2 daily FH beers you may instead have one glass of either kombucha, guest tap beer, wine or cider – does not include cocktails)
- 25% off of wholesale bottles (Field house beer or Whispering Horse wine)
- Kombucha available at cost (50% off retail price) Includes growler fills and glasses
- 25% off glasses of wine and cider
- Food available at cost (50% off retail price) – Does not include feature priced items
- Merch available at cost for yourself & significant other, 25% off gifts for family and friends
Please send resume and cover letter to the lead farmer, Evann Knott, at Farm@fieldhousebrewing.com
Thank you for your interest and please note that only potential applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Deadline to apply: March 31, 2022
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org