This position has been filled as of March 4, 2019. Thank you for your interest.
A Rocha Canada, in Surrey, BC is seeking a permanent Assistant Farm Manager!
About A Rocha Canada
A Rocha is an international Christian non-profit organization. We have operated a CSA for 14 seasons, and currently cultivate about 3 acres of mixed veggies on 2 properties in the rural-urban fringe of South Surrey, BC.
In addition to a 160 share CSA program from June to October (and a smaller winter CSA in November and December) we also grow veggies for an on-site farm stand, some restaurant sales and our centre kitchen (which feeds staff and volunteers a daily lunch).
We value and attempt to foster biodiversity in our ecosystem and soils.
Most of our work is done with hand tools. We try to minimize soil disturbance and use organic soil amendments. We are not currently certified organic. We are always looking for innovative and appropriately-scaled tools to make our work safer, easier and more enjoyable. In addition to a small 4-wheel tractor for some fieldwork, we use a BCS tractor and Planet Jr. walk-behind cultivating tractors.
Many of our customers pick up their veggies at the farm, so they are able to observe our work in the field and ask us questions. CSA members receive a weekly email with farm stories, recipes and info on our growing practices to help them feel a deeper connection to their food and an understanding of what it took to get it to them.
A Rocha runs a residential internship program and trains about 10 interns per year in sustainable agriculture practices.
- Embodies A Rocha Canada’s Commitments and Core Values
- At least 1 year small mixed vegetable production and sales
- Demonstrates organizational leadership skills
- Physically fit and able to lift up to 40 lbs
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in training others to perform farm tasks
- Competent in Microsoft and Google Suites, especially Excel and Google Sheets
- Ability to work long hours in all weather conditions
- Able to work extended hours in spring/summer
- Experience in certified organic agricultural production and record keeping an asset
- Experience with farm machinery and small motor mechanics an asset
- Criminal record search required
The Assistant manager will assist the Farm Manager in running the CSA program, including but not limited to the following;
- Involvement in crop planning and planting
- Execute all areas of crop production, including seeding, planting, weeding, irrigating, harvesting, and post harvest processing and packing
- Assemble weekly CSA shares and communicate with CSA members
- Improve soil health through careful crop rotations, cover cropping, and organic amendments
- Assist in the development of infrastructure for farm operations
- Organize and maintain tools and farm equipment
- Keep careful production and sales records
- Liaise with chefs and restaurant owners to increase produce sales to restaurants
- Oversee others in the operation of the CSA program
- Supervise and train interns in the tasks listed above
- Train, and supervise volunteers in the garden
- Liaise with the Brooksdale kitchen and help ensure regular use of farm surpluses in meals
- Participate in regular A Rocha community events (includes some weekend work, as required)
- Attend weekly A Rocha staff meetings and contribute towards A Rocha community life
Term: This is a permanent position, in a full-time capacity, reporting to the Farm Manager. The initial contract is offered for March 1, 2019 – December 31, 2019 with the possibility of renewal thereafter.
Hours: This is a Full-Time position (40 hrs/week). Farming is seasonal in nature, with hours in spring and summer generally exceeding full time and less demand in winter, enabling the Assistant Farm Manager to “bank” hours in the summer season. More details will be provided.
Wage: Starting wage is $17/hr with benefits.
Please provide a resume and cover letter and at least 3 work-related references to email@example.com.
Deadline: Closing date for applications is February 25, 2019
Learn More About A Rocha Canada
View other farm jobs and apprenticeships here.