Flourish MicroFarm + Happy Hills Farm in Rossland, BC are seeking an Indoor MicroFarm Intern!
ABOUT Flourish MicroFarm + Happy Hills Farm
This paid youth internship will occur at our indoor microfarm where we produce certified organic microgreens at a large and efficient scale. Flourish MicroFarm currently provides microgreens to the entire West Kootenays and we are planning scale beyond this winter.
Our busy season is winter. The ideal intern can commit to 32 hours per week from mid-October through until the end of March 2022.
This position is based entirely indoors. We grow microgreens by hand, we use no automation. Our primary sales channels are our winter home delivery CSA, restaurants and grocery stores.
Our farm is certified organic and aims to provide nutrient-dense food to our community and region on a year round basis. Flourish MicroFarm is the partner farm to our outdoor veggie farm (Happy Hills Farm) and there is potential for this position to extend to our 2022 outdoor growing season.
To us, growing healthy food in a way that prioritizes the health of our environment is one of the most important things we can do with our time here. We hope to find an intern who understands the importance of food security and localized food systems, and who is passionate about the climate and the role agriculture plays in climate change.
We are hoping to find an intern who:
- has farming / food growing experience
- is passionate about food production and food systems
- is community oriented and passionate about building healthy communities
- has excellent work ethic (professional tree planters welcome to apply!)
- has the ability to work efficiently at all times, even when unsupervised
- is punctual, reliable and committed to their work
- enjoys hard work. We want to welcome an intern who can work their butt off and at the same time, enjoy doing so!
- has a positive, happy attitude
- doesn’t mind prioritizing work over pow-days (we live and work in a ski town!)
- is eager to learn and expand their experience into food production
- has a valid BC drivers license (not necessary, but it’s a bonus!)
- is between the ages of 18-30 (this is a funded youth internship)
Our intern will be fully trained to perform all aspects of growing microgreens:
- preparing trays, seeding, watering + maintenance, harvesting and packaging
- If our intern has a valid drivers license, deliveries will be part of the required tasks
- cleaning trays and the microfarm on a daily and weekly basis
- daily record-keeping (we are certified organic and track everything!)
- development and execution of our winter CSA
- the position may include social media marketing
- this position may include training on the inner workings of how to operate a microgreens business, in particular, in conjunction with an outdoor vegetable farm to provide locally grown food on a year round basis
- this position may extend to the 2022 outdoor vegetable growing season
Term: Start date is October 15, 2021 (this is flexible)
End date is March 31, 2022
Hours per week: 32
Wage: Wage is entirely dependent on experience.
If our intern has no food growing experience, starting wage is $17/hr with the opportunity to increase every 6-8 weeks.
If our intern has food growing experience, base range may start at $20/hr (or more!).
There may be funding available for relocation.
Please provide a resume and references, as well as a cover letter explaining your experience growing food or farming, why you would like to work at our indoor microfarm, and how you plan to make this work if you are relocating. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Flourish MicroFarm + Happy Hills Farm