Looking for a farming apprenticeship in Ontario? Check out Ignatius Farm in Guelph!
About Ignatius Farm
Ignatius Farm grows certified organic produce for Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) members, farmers’ markets, local businesses and service agencies. Programs include community gardens, community orchard, acreage rentals, internships and farmer training, working shares, volunteer opportunities, and seasonal community events.
We are looking for passionate & imaginative individuals to join us in the care of our organic farm. As part of the Ignatius farm team you will join our vision in regenerative local food systems, eco‐spirituality, community agriculture, and farm ecosystem education.
- Background knowledge and/or interest in gardening, greenhouse production, soils, ecology, local food systems, farm ecosystems, and use of basic tools
- Commitment to ecological farming practices, Health & Safety mindfulness, working outside in all weather, operating as a cohesive team, open communications, and building community
- Valid G class drivers licence
- First Aid/CPR
Ignatius Farm interns must be legally permitted to work in Canada
- Grow, harvest and process vegetables & berries in ﬁeld and greenhouses
- Provide quality organic produce for CSA, farmers market, Loyola House & local businesses
- Participate fully in trainings and support training others
- Log field activities and contribute to system improvements
- Use tools safely and support maintenance of tools, equipment, & structures
Duration: Full-Season Contract: April 19 – November 19, 2021
Summer Contract: April 19 – August 27, 2021
Weekly hours: Interns work on the farm up to 44 hrs/week in addition to the 5-10 hrs of education programming each week.
Stipend: $400 monthly stipend and a CSA share.
Accommodation: Optional housing benefit
Instruction & Education
The Ignatius Farm Internship combines weekly education curriculum with hands‐on ﬁeld work to develop skills and knowledge as a farm worker, and is the basis of your work in ecological agriculture or food system advocacy.
- Two‐week pre-season intensive and three‐week post‐season intensive and workshops
- Weekly webinars, virtual ﬁeld days including one monthly in person ﬁeld trip
- The curriculum is collaboratively offered with EFAO and Everdale
Submit your resume and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org, which must include:
1. Confirming you have read the online 2021 Ignatius Farm Internship package
2. Email and phone number for daytime contact
3. Which internship you are applying for – Full-Season or Summer
4. Planned commitments during the contract timeline, with dates
5. Intention to live in the accommodations on-site
6. Farming and gardening experience
7. Why you seek an organic farm internship with Ignatius Farm
8. What you would like to learn during the internship
9. The skills and qualities you can bring to the farm
10. Preference for solo or team-based work
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org.
Learn More About Ignatius Farm