Earthwise Society has an exciting new position for someone with farm and restoration experience. Help to start a new organic teaching garden in Agassiz, BC!
About Earthwise Society
Earthwise Society is a not for profit, charitable organization that has been a leader in sustainable land use initiatives for over 30 years. Recently, we initiated the establishment of a new destination learning resource and organic teaching farm on 58 acres in Agassiz, BC. Earthwise Society is looking for a reliable, energetic individual interested in gaining experience in habitat enhancement and organic food production. This beautiful and unique site encompasses diverse ecosystems between Harrison Hot Springs and Agassiz, BC. The Miami River runs along the entire eastern boundary of the site, providing habitat and pure running water from the mountains. A second stream and an estimated 2 acres of native wetland nestles at the foot of rocky mountain outcroppings to the west. A grove of almost 30 mature cedars marks the northern edge where the two streams join. Toward the entrance, a heritage farmhouse and barn, circa 1910, add a historical dimension welcoming visitors to the site.
The farm is certified organic, and includes a half acre vegetable field, a small heritage apple orchard, a soft fruit garden, and a perennial garden.
Knowledge and understanding of sustainable horticultural practices Completion of post secondary education program in environmental studies, horticulture, or agriculture or similar fields, and /or Experience with farming, gardening, or habitat enhancement initiatives Comfortable with outdoor physical work Experience working in a not-for-profit environment an asset
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to Earthwise Society’s Environmental Projects Coordinator, the Environmental Farm Assistant’s duties will include:
- Assist with establishment of a small scale certified organic teaching farm, including field preparation, compost management, field maintenance, irrigation, harvesting and post harvest handling of crops
- Assist with care, harvest, development, and maintenance of soft fruit garden, perennial garden, and heritage apple orchard
- Assist with planning an interpretative Streamside Trail along the eastern boundary of the Agassiz Farm property, following the course of the Miami River
- As part of a team, work to enhance habitat values of riparian areas adjacent to the farm, including participating in invasive species removal and tree planting
- Assist with implementing installation of ecological demonstration gardens featuring native and pollinator plants, including bed preparation, planting, and maintenance
- Ensure that all tools and equipment are properly and safely used and stored
- Assist with watering of planted areas Assist with special events as required
- Other duties as assigned
Available immediately and extending through to November 30th, 2017.
35 hours per week. Weekend work will be required. Note: Part-time hours will be considered.
$14-$15/hour, depending on experience.
Send resumes to email@example.com by August 21, 2017.