Reporting to the Executive Director, the Organic Grower/Educator is responsible for implementing farm operational plans, delivering educational programs, engaging community participation, and working as part of a team toward the success of our programs.
- As part of a team, provide leadership on the implementation of farm operations, including propagation, soil preparation, compost management, planting, harvesting, and storage of crops
- Ensure that plantings are healthy, free of weeds, and the site is attractive to visitors;
- Train and supervise farm staff and volunteers in day to day operations
- Assist in keeping records related to farm operations, ensuring that organic standards are maintained
- As part of a team, assist with crop and budget planning
- Ensure that equipment is well maintained and that necessary tools and supplies are available when needed
Education and Outreach
- Act as resource for staff, allotments, volunteers and public on organic growing
- Deliver workshops and educational programs for children and adults
- Assist in planning and participate in special events at Earthwise
- Represent Earthwise at farmers markets and events in the community
- Ensure that farm and garden visitors are greeted and welcomed to Earthwise
- Collect data to assist in program evaluation
- Assist in communicating to the public regarding Earthwise programs and events
- Coordinate farm and garden volunteers, implement training and engagement programs
Retail and Sales
- Oversee retail sales and sales displays at the Farm Store and Nursery
- Identify new off site markets for Earthwise produce and handle off site sales
- Promote and implement Community Supported Agriculture Program (CSA)
The ideal candidate will be committed to organic growing and motivated to share their passion, knowledge and experience with others. A good communicator, you work well with others and enjoy collaborating in a team environment to meet organizational goals. You are goal oriented, adaptable, and enjoy new challenges. In addition, you are able to satisfy most of the following criteria:
- Commitment to and understanding of organic growing practices
- Completion of post secondary program in agriculture, horticulture or similar training, and
- Minimum one year recent work experience in the organic farming industry; or
- Equivalent combination of training and experience
- Experience with building and construction techniques, horticultural tools and machinery
- Experience supervising others in outdoor work
- Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in retail sales and public speaking an asset.
This is a full time position, 35 hours per week, from March 1, 2016 until November 30, 2016. The position may be extended or renewed based upon continued availability of funding and a positive performance review. Weekend work will be required.
Please send resumes to: email@example.com before Feb. 15, 2016.
education and social programs. The Earthwise Farm is part of a community
based agricultural movement that is revolutionizing our food system. The
two acre certified organic farm models small scale agriculture for urban
edge communities, and works to re-establish personal connections with the
land where our food is grown. Through our volunteer and education programs
we are cultivating a new generation of farmers and thoughtful citizens.