Who we are:
Barefoot Farms is a small urban and peri-urban farm operating out of multiple backyards in the Kingsway corridor area between Fraser Street and Knight Street as well as a half-acre in south Richmond. We grow over 40 different vegetables primarily for our CSA as well as market sales, using organic principles.
We are looking for interns for the 2013 season. The most important trait we are looking for is a desire to learn through hands on experience about small scale farming.
What you’ll be doing and some of the skills you’ll learn:
– Soil preparation
– Transplanting and direct seeding
– Harvesting and post-harvest handling
– Weed management and pest control
– Greenhouse management
– Overseeing CSA pickup and sales at farmer’s markets
– Irrigation systems
– Animal husbandry (layer hens)
– Food preserving
– Writing farm blogs and newsletters
– Crop planning and harvest planning
– And much much more
– Good communications skills
– Able to work independently and as part of a team
– Able to complete physically demanding tasks
– Minimum commitment of 1 day a week for 4 months, but preference will be given to those who can commit for more than a single 1 day per week
– Preferred internship dates are from mid-April until the end of October, this is negotiable based on your availability
– Having a valid driver’s license is considered an asset
Benefits and compensation:
– Leaning about urban and peri-urban farming through a hands on experience
– Weekly intern veggie box
– Farm family dinners
– A stipend is available for those interning for 3 or more days per week. Stipends for 3 days start at $1000 for four months and $1500 for six months of commitment, while 4 or 5 day commitments will receive a larger stipends.
To apply for the internship fill out the application form Barefoot Farms Internship Application. The application deadline is April 12th, but there is lots of work to be done if you want to help out earlier.If you have any further question about the internship send your questions to Mark the farm manager at email@example.com.
We are looking forward to sharing our farming knowledge with you and sharing the experiences at Barefoot Farms season.
The Barefoot Farms team!