Avalon Organic Blueberry Farm in Port Alberni, Vancouver Island, BC is seeking a Farm Manager Apprentice for the 2020 season and beyond!
ABOUT AVALON ORGANIC BLUEBERRY FARM
Avalon Farm is a 22 acre farm, with 1.5 acre certified organic blueberries, 5 acre hay field, large organic gardens; seeking a long term farm manager to allow the owners to ease into retirement. This position is suitable for a single person, or couples are welcome to apply. The property has several acres of land that could be used for additional farming operations for the successful candidate if desired. It is intended that 2020 provide an apprenticeship and training opportunity, with full farm management undertaken in 2021. Blueberry farming makes for an intense seasonal work period of about 2-3 months full time in the summer, with another full time month of pruning in the winter. The rest of the year part time work is available, as well as access to land for the candidate’s own farming operation.
- Training or experience in organic production
- Desire for a long term, stable farming career and lifestyle
- Mechanical aptitude, experience with machinery and some carpentry experience preferable
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively.
- Willingness to be adaptable and flexible when the need arises
- Excellent customer relation skills, fast learner
- Passion for organic agriculture and conscientious work habits
- Strong physical stamina and vitality
- Management of blueberry bushes and crops
- Crop harvest, and training and oversight of seasonal help
- Maintenance of good customer relations
- Marketing of product through Farmers Market, direct wholesale and retail
- Product packing, loading into trucks and/or transport to market
- Communication with farm owner regarding crop progress and issues that may arise
- Maintenance and repair of farm buildings, machinery and equipment
- Maintenance of irrigation system equipment
- Assistance with other general farm duties as needed
Wage: Compensation to be negotiated with successful candidate
Hours: Guaranteed 35 hours per week for 3 months (approx July-September) then 15 hours per week in off-season, with one month of full-time work in the pruning season (Jan/Feb). Flexible holidays and time off outside of main blueberry season.
Accommodation: Accommodation is available year round in a private, self contained cabin with private driveway for $700/month including all utilities, or trade for work.
- Shared use of large vegetable garden land that can be used for own farming operation
- Use of farm equipment and machinery
LOCATION AND AMENITIES
The Alberni Valley is part of the lush, temperate rainforests of Central Vancouver Island. The region features a strong and growing agricultural community, excellent amenities, and a terrific backcountry.
Avalon Farm is located about 10 minutes from the City of Port Alberni, and only a short walk to beautiful Sproat Lake, surrounded by forest and trails.
The farm features horses, chickens and a large organic vegetable garden. Buildings include a main house, a self-contained trailer and private cabin, Blueberry processing building with freezers/coolers and various barns and other outbuildings.
Interested? Please contact email@example.com
Learn More About Avalon Organic Blueberry Farm