Want to learn what it takes to run an organic blueberry farm, with opportunities to grow into a farm manager position? Check out this apprenticeship opportunity at Avalon Organic Blueberry Farm in Port Alberni, BC!
ABOUT AVALON ORGANIC BLUEBERRY FARM
Our multi-use Farm is 22 acres, with 1+ acre certified organic blueberries, 5 acre hayfield, large organic gardens; seeking Apprentices. For the right person, apprenticeship may lead to a position as long term farm manager(s) to allow the owners to ease into retirement.
Blueberry farming makes for an intense seasonal work period of about 2-3 months full time in the summer, with another full time month of pruning in the winter. The rest of the year part time work is available, as well as access to land for the candidate’s own farming operation, and many other related opportunities.
For more info about Avalon Blueberry Farm: avalonfarm.ca
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively.
- Willingness to be adaptable and flexible when the need arises
- Excellent customer relation skills
- Passion for organic agriculture and conscientious work habits
- Strong physical stamina and vitality
- Training or experience in organic production
- Desire for a long term, stable farming career and lifestyle
- Management of blueberry bushes and crops
- Crop harvest, oversight of seasonal help
- Maintenance of good customer relations, sales record keeping
- Marketing of product through Farmers Markets, direct wholesale and retail
- Product Quality control
- Product sorting, packing, loading into trucks and/or transport to market
- Communication with farm owner regarding crop progress and issues that may arise
- Assisting in maintenance of farm buildings, machinery and equipment
- Running irrigation system equipment
- Assistance with other general farm duties as needed
Accommodation is available year round, and the property has several acres of land that could be used for additional farming operations for the successful candidate, if desired. Accommodation is available in a private cabin or self-contained trailer with private driveway.
- Compensation commensurate with skills and as responsibilities increase
- Work 5 days per week for 3-6 months (approx May-Sept) then additional hours in the off seasons, with some full-time work in the pruning season (Jan/Feb)
- Shared use of large vegetable gardens
- land that can be used for own farming operation
- Use of farm equipment and machinery
- Suitable for single, or couples welcome to apply
- Flexible holidays and time off outside of main blueberry season
Location and Amenities
- The Alberni Valley is part of the lush, temperate rainforests of Central Vancouver Island.
- The region features a strong and growing agricultural community, excellent amenities, and a terrific backcountry for recreation.
- Our Farm is located about 10 minutes from the City of Port Alberni.
- The farm features horses, chickens and a large organic vegetable garden
- Building include a main house, a self-contained trailer and private cabin, and various barns and outbuildings