Edwin County Farms in Picton, ON is seeking an apprentice for the 2021 season!
About Edwin County Farms
Edwin County Farms is a bio-diverse farm in Prince Edward County, Ontario. Our 700 acre farm includes a 2 acre intensively planted market garden for vegetables and cut flowers. The farm also produces organic beef, grain and maple syrup. We sell to local chefs and restaurants and feed our community through local farmers’ markets and our on-site farmstand.
Prince Edward County is nestled into the Eastern end of Lake Ontario, along the shores of the Bay of Quinte. With over 30 wineries and cideries and its many restaurants, the County has become a top food and wine destination for culinary enthusiasts. Access the water through the beaches and parks including Sandbanks Provincial Park and many other hidden away destinations. The summer and fall play host to Classical, jazz, and country music festivals as well as theatre.
Our mission is to produce high quality, naturally grown vegetables and flowers to nourish our community as well as to provide a safe environment and sustainable lifestyle for our employees. We have a work culture that strives to be inclusive, productive, efficient, organized, and fun!
Under the direction of the market garden director, interns will participate in all aspects of
the organic vegetable and cut flower production, from seed to harvest. This includes:
- seedling production work (making potting mix, seeding trays)
- establishment & upkeep of crops (planting and weeding)
- installation of field materials including caterpillar tunnels, geotextiles, row covers, irrigation
- vegetable harvest (possibly some flower harvest as well)
- post-harvest operations: washing, sorting, weighing, bagging
- bed prep using the broadfork and BCS in the field greenhouses and tractor in the fields
- recording field and sales data
Term: This is a full-time and full-season position from either mid-April or mid-May to the beginning of November.
Hours: We work Monday to Friday, approx 40 hour weeks depending on the month with a 1hr lunch break.
Wage and Benefits:
- $500/month stipend including room and board and possibility of a bonus at season’s end
- One week pre-arranged vacation during the season
Previous farming experience is an asset but not necessary. Interns will be fully trained to perform all necessary tasks and trained to use hand tools, BCS walk behind tractor, and regular tractor.
Room and Board
Living arrangements are in a private room. Interns share a bathroom and full kitchen. Free access to surplus vegetables and we will stock the pantry with staples.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: April 24, 2021
When applying, please mention you saw this job posting at youngagrarians.org
Learn More About Edwin County Farms
View more farm jobs and apprenticeships here.