Young Agrarians is hiring an E-Learning Coordinator.
Location: Remote office in Western Canada. Please indicate where you live on your application.
Deadline for Applications: Thursday, May 4, 2023 at 12pm PST. This position will start when we find the right candidate.
Do you love supporting people on their learning journeys? Are you a person that gets joy from finding creative ways to facilitate people online? Would you consider yourself a computer-savvy person who can’t wait to check things off of your to-do list? If you have this magic mix of skills then we would love to hear from you!
We are seeking someone for an E-Learning Coordinator role who loves creating and delivering online education, is process-orientated, enjoys working on a computer, and understands farming.
The Young Agrarians E-Learning program offers many online courses and workshops, on a range of topics, from the basics of farming to business planning to land access. All of our courses and workshops are led by fellow farmers, food systems allies, and experts in the field (literally!). The role is central to the impactful design and seamless delivery of our online education.
ABOUT YOUNG AGRARIANS
Young Agrarians (YA) is an educational resource network for new and young ecological farmers in Canada. YA recognizes the Indigenous lands and territories that we work on and alongside. YA is committed to providing programs and services that are inclusive and available to farmers and friends of diverse backgrounds. Since 2012, the YA network is volunteer-driven, with farmers across the country organizing on-farm events and building community to create spaces for knowledge sharing and growth. YA began as a seed of an idea and since has grown into a dynamic educational network and set of programs that target the educational needs of new and young farmers.
YA’s Grow-a-Farmer Strategy works to deliver the following programs:
- National: aggregate resources and opportunities online;
- National: coordinate educational and networking events on and off farm year-round, as well as e-learning;
- Prairie provinces: on-farm apprenticeship training program in regenerative agriculture;
- BC: land access programming and supports; and
- Western Canada: business mentorships.
YA works to grow the sector by supporting new entrants through farmer-to-farmer learning. The theory of change is to engage new and young farmers and the farm-curious online, bring them together to network and learn together on and off farms, support access to training opportunities and resources, and when ready to start farms, provide educational supports for on-farm training, land access, business readiness, and peer mentorship. The long-term goal is to grow connections to each other and the land in order to grow a resilient and climate-adapted food system for a healthy future.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diverse communities we collaborate with and serve. The organizational culture is focused on bringing your whole self and working together to support farmers to overcome barriers and challenges through educational supports and resources.
COMPENSATION & HOURS
- This is a full-time, year-round position
- Start date approximately mid-May, 2023
- 30 hours per week at $30 / hour
- Mileage is reimbursed at provincial rates
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Create high-value learning experiences for farmers and food lovers:
- Coordinate the delivery of YA’s multi-week live online sessions including welcoming participants, facilitating workshops, honouring and respecting Indigenous land and territories, introducing presenters, moderating panels, providing technical support, and managing participant questions.
- Coordinate the production of on-demand courses to be offered through YA’s website including the development of curriculum and learning outcomes (e.g. Business Bootcamp and How to Starting Farming courses).
- Develop and update e-learning content, including videos, resource lists, and workbooks.
- Facilitate and host live, online e-learning sessions.
- Coordinate logistics with educators and virtual co-hosts.
- Manage participant registration.
- Deliver evaluation of e-learning to improve user experience and increase program uptake.
- Moderate discussions forums.
Grow YA’s E-Learning platform:
- Manage and update YA’s learning management system.
- Maintain YA program files on Google Drive.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of E-learning Standard Operating Procedures and E-learning administration, including workplace documentation and maintenance of a workplan.
- Provide technical support related to E-learning for other YA online program activities as needed.
- Develop and maintain a work plan detailing responsibilities and accomplishments.
- Maintain a worklog detailing daily tasks.
Build YA’s online community and network:
- Create an atmosphere of community in E-learning courses.
- Support the development and distribution of marketing materials for E-learning.
- Respond to general inquiries about the E-learning program.
- Contribute educational content to the Young Agrarians blog.
- Ensure that farmer-to-farmer networking and connections can be reinforced in the digital space, and allow for more on-going communication between new and aspiring farmers.
- Maintain contact information in Salesforce, as per YA best practices.
- Attend monthly YA meetings and other team meetings as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
This job position will increase the candidate’s ability to manage a suite of digital E-learning tools, and work within an online environment to provide high quality, engaged learning opportunities. The role will enable the successful candidate to develop their soft skills working within a larger team setting and organizational ecosystem, along with further developing facilitation skills to support knowledge transfer.
- Experience and / or education in farming and food systems.
- A high level of self-motivation as part of a remote team.
- Process oriented and detail focused.
- Joy and ease in communication, outreach and participant engagement.
- Understanding of best practices for social media and website use.
- Experience coordinating, facilitating and hosting online events.
- High level of comfort in public speaking, moderating, and facilitating on behalf of an organization through video and chat in an online space.
- Working proficiency and ability to adapt to and learn how to use online platforms: Google Workspace, Calendar, Gmail, WordPress, Mailchimp, Zoom, Social Media, and Salesforce.
- Experience and interest in creating video content.
- Motivated to perform in-depth, independent research on topics related to farming and e-learning.
- Willingness to solve technical challenges and ensure user experience is optimized.
- Comfort leading course development process and working with content experts.
- Good interpersonal skills, brings a positive vibe to the workplace, and enjoys working with teams.
- A home office with a computer, reliable high-speed internet connection, and either a landline or cellular phone with good reception / service.
- Ability to work during regular business hours, with some required evening and weekend work.
- Experience representing a non-profit organization and cultivating partnerships to realize the mission.
- A degree / certificate in education or adult learning.
- Experience providing technical assistance to farmers or experience in agricultural extension.
- Experience working with a learning management system (e.g. Moodle, LearnDash)
- Experience with simple digital graphic design (e.g. Canva, Adobe Creative Suite)
- Experience writing to a broad audience (e.g. blog posts, video, reels).
Please submit applications by email to Taina Uitto at om [at] youngagrarians [dot] org with the following:
Subject line: Firstname Lastname – E-Learning Coordinator
Please attach a PDF cover letter and resume as one document with the following file name: Firstname Lastname – E-Learning Coordinator.pdf. In your application, please:
- Indicate where you are located
- Include your social media handles
- Answer the following 3 questions in your cover letter:
- What is motivating you to apply?
- What skills and abilities can you bring to this position?
- What is your experience and understanding of working with farmers?
- Clearly indicate on your resume or cover letter which online platforms you have experience working with (Google Workspace, Canva, WordPress, Mailchimp, Zoom, Social Media, and Salesforce) as well as any other graphic design or video creation programs or learning management systems you are familiar with.
- Optional: submit a video (up to 1 minute), telling us what inspires you about farming/farmers. Feel free to have fun and be creative! Videos should be submitted in one of the following ways: 1. As an attachment to the same email containing your PDF, or 2. As a link in your PDF to a video hosting platform where we can view the video. Your video can be filmed as an Instagram Reel or Tiktok and the link submitted.
Deadline for Applications: Monday, May 1, 2023 at 12pm PST. This position will start when we find the right candidate.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will not be available for phone calls or lengthy email inquiries. If you have 1-2 questions, please ask by email. Thank you for your time and interest!
LEARN MORE ABOUT YOUNG AGRARIANS
2 thoughts on “We’re hiring! E-Learning Coordinator – Western Canada”
I tried to send in my application but the email address is a little bit confusing! I have tried a few versions but the emails keep bouncing back. Please advise!
Thanks for reaching out! Please send your application to email@example.com. Let me know if you have any issues with that!