You’re invited to a Farm-to-Food Cart Lunch and Tour at Digable Roots in Duncan, B.C.! Welcome to all those interested in fresh food and a full-circle farm experience.
Farmers Meg and Callum are offering a farm fresh, farm-to-food cart lunch and tour of their farm on leased land they found through the B.C. Land Matching Program in 2019. Come connect with the Cowichan Valley farming community and see what these farmers have been up to!
Megan and Callum are Digable Roots, and grow vegetables and herbs and raise pigs, chickens and ducks. As well as being a farm, they are also a food cart. They use flavours of the farm and transform them into fresh, delicious sandwiches, salads and sides. Callum is the chef and Meg is the front of house. Together, they serve the Cowichan community a farm-to-table experience, with a slow-food approach and mindfulness of the land, animals and food systems.
We’ll tour the farm, connect, and enjoy the delicious sandwiches and salads of the food cart. Young Agrarian’s Vancouver Island Land Matcher will be present to connect with if you are interested in exploring land leasing through the B.C. Land Matching Program or learning about the other resources and supports available to support you in your farming journey.
Come out and enjoy the bounty of the land and connect with your fellow farmy folks in the community! Anyone who loves food, farming, and getting out onto the land is welcome to attend.
DATE: Sunday, September 12, 2021 • 11am-5pm
LOCATION: Quw’utsun Territory, below the base of Swuq’us mountain. 6798 Somenos Road, Duncan, BC.
REGISTER: PLEASE REGISTER HERE to reserve your spot. If you aren’t sure yet if you will be able to make it, feel free to just show up anytime 11-5!
SCHEDULE (times are approximate):
11-11:30 – Intro circle, meet and greet
11:30-12:30 – Farm tour with Meg and Callum
12:30-5pm – Lunch served, picnic under apple trees. The farm will be open for self-guided tours during this time
FOOD: Get ready for a full-circle farm experience! The farmers are offering a farm fresh, farm-to-food cart lunch.
A set menu that each guest can order from will be offered: two sandwiches (one meat and one vegetarian), salad and side options as well as farm drinks. You buy and pay for what you want at the farm – we accept Debit, Credit, cash and e-transfer. Coffee and tea by donation.
BRING: Please bring a chair or blanket to sit on, an umbrella for shade if you like, and drinking water. Optional: face mask.
- Please stay home if you have cold or flu-like symptoms, OR if you’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19 and are completing a period of self-isolation as mandated by public health, OR if you have had contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case in the past 14 days. Refer to the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool for more information.
- We welcome cancellations at any time – you can do so through Eventbrite, through the link in your registration confirmation email, or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please follow physical distancing guidelines and keep 6 feet apart from other people. No handshakes or hugs please!
- Masks are not required, but bring one to wear if you’d like.
- We will have a hand sanitizer station for your use throughout the event. Please refrain from touching tools, pets and livestock, and door handles etc. on the farm.
- If provincial health guidelines for events change, we may cancel the event and you will be notified by email.
- This event is free and open to everyone! Children are welcome but please leave furry friends at home.
- Join our Young Agrarians Vancouver Island Facebook Group to stay up to date with all events.
- Sign up for our e-newsletter to get events and opportunities for your region delivered straight to your inbox.
SHARE: Planning on joining us? Invite your friends and share the Facebook event! (Link coming soon)
More about Digable Roots
We grow and raise all vegetables, herbs and animals for the food cart. We use animals for manure, land management and pest control, to do this we rotate chickens and pigs throughout the season. We also are transitioning to a no-till practice. We use manure, leaf mulch, compost and cover crops. We found our land through the BC Land Matching Program, and work collaboratively with our landholders to raise our pigs, as well as manage and diversify the land.
Check out Digable Roots online:
UPCOMING VANCOUVER ISLAND EVENTS
Not able to join us for this event? Fear not! Here’s a quick look at the dates and places we’ll be visiting on the island this season.
SEPTEMBER 19, 2021
LAND SOCIAL AT SHELTER FARM, PORT ALBERNI
OCTOBER 3, 2021
LAND SOCIAL AT LOHBRUNNER COMMUNITY FARM CO-OP, LANGFORD (info coming soon!)
GOT LAND? WANT LAND?
Through the B.C. Land Matching Program, Young Agrarians offers support to farmers looking for land for their farm business, and landholders looking for farmers to farm their land. We’ve made more than 146 matches on over 6,000 acres to date! The Vancouver Island Land Matcher will be attending the event to answer any questions the B.C. Land Matching Program. For those unable to join us, you can send a message to email@example.com for more information.
The B.C. Land Matching Program is funded on Vancouver Island by the Province of British Columbia, with support from Cowichan Valley Regional District and Patagonia