You’re invited to a socially-distanced outdoor Land Social at Lohbrunner Community Farm Co-op in Langford, B.C.! If you’re curious about what land matching and sharing is all about – or just want to check out what your local farmers and farm interns are up to – join us for the event.
This event will tour Lohbrunner Community Farm, a cooperatively managed farm owned by FarmFolk CityFolk, which includes garden space for core co-op members as well as two market garden operations.
We’ll tour the farm, network, and look at the steps to building a successful land sharing relationship. Your regional Land Matcher will share information about how the B.C. Land Matching Program can help you find the perfect farmer for your land – or farmland where you can build your dream farm business.
Land Socials connect farmers and farmland holders, and set them up to receive ongoing support through the B.C. Land Matching Program. Both farmers seeking land and farmland holders thinking about sharing land are encouraged to attend – as well as anyone who loves food, farming, and getting out onto the land.
DATE: Sunday, October 3, 2021 • 3-6pm
LOCATION: Traditional territories of the Lkwungen People. 1152 Lippincott Rd, Victoria, BC
REGISTER: Due to COVID-19, we require registration for our events so we can limit the number of attendees to allow for physical distancing. PLEASE REGISTER HERE to reserve your spot.
SCHEDULE (times are approximate):
3-4 Farm Tour
4-5 Introduction circle & B.C. Land Matching Program Overview
5-6 Refreshments & Networking
BRING: Please bring a chair or blanket to sit on. Refreshments will include vegetarian and vegan options and will be provided by a local business. If you’d prefer you can bring your own meal instead. There will not be any wash stations for dishes available. Optional: face mask.
- Please stay home if you have cold or flu-like symptoms, OR if you’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19 and are completing a period of self-isolation as mandated by public health, OR if you have had contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case in the past 14 days. Refer to the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool for more information.
- We welcome cancellations at any time – you can do so through Eventbrite, through the link in your registration confirmation email, or by contacting email@example.com. Please let us know if you aren’t able to attend so we can open up a spot to someone else.
- Please follow physical distancing guidelines and keep 6 feet apart from other people. No handshakes or hugs please!
- Masks are not required, but bring one to wear if you’d like.
- We will have a hand sanitizer station for your use throughout the event. Please refrain from touching tools, pets and livestock, and door handles etc. on the farm.
- If provincial health guidelines for events change, we may cancel the event and you will be notified by email.
- This event is free and open to everyone! Children are welcome but please leave furry friends at home.
- Join our Young Agrarians Vancouver Island Facebook Group to stay up to date with all events.
- Sign up for our e-newsletter to get events and opportunities for your region delivered straight to your inbox.
SHARE: Planning on joining us? Invite your friends and share the Facebook event! (Link coming soon)
ABOUT LOHBRUNNER COMMUNITY FARM
Lohbrunner Community Farm Cooperative is nestled in a seasonal wetland, tucked between Metchosin and Langford on Vancouver Island. The farm is home to two full time farming operations and ten homesteaders who farm in an adjacent, fenced in area. Lohbrunner Community Farm Cooperative is a Certified Organic farm and all those who farm there must maintain the certification. The land on which Lohbrunner sits is home to both an extensive wetland area and a large forested area dedicated to a bird sanctuary.
As Lohbrunner is in a wetland, the growing season is shorter than it is at other farms on the lower Island, usually running from the end of April until about Mid-October to November when the field floods and crops must be taken out of the soil. The fertile soil is rich in nutrients and allows for some amazing crops to be grown, and the near-by markets are a wonderful place to sell. Lohbrunner is also home to a growing education and workshop program that we hope to develop further over the coming years. As a cooperative community farm we hope to help bridge gaps in knowledge and give educational information and community support to those around us.
Check out LOHBRUNNER COMMUNITY FARM online:
UPCOMING VANCOUVER ISLAND EVENTS
Not able to join us for this event? Fear not! Here’s a quick look at the dates and places we’ll be visiting this season.
SEPTEMBER 12, 2021
DIGABLE ROOTS, DUNCAN
SEPTEMBER 19, 2021
SHELTER FARM, PORT ALBERNI
GOT LAND? WANT LAND?
Through the B.C. Land Matching Program, Young Agrarians offers support to farmers looking for land for their farm business, and landholders looking for farmers to farm their land. We’ve made more than 146 matches on over 6,000 acres to date! The Vancouver Island Land Matcher will be attending the event to answer any questions the B.C. Land Matching Program. For those unable to join us, you can send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The B.C. Land Matching Program is funded on Vancouver Island by the Province of British Columbia, with support from Cowichan Valley Regional District and Patagonia.