You’re invited to a socially-distanced outdoor Land Social at Digable Roots in Duncan, BC! If you’re curious about what land matching and sharing is all about, join us for the event.
Be inspired and learn about the incredible farming that can be done on leased land! Meg and Callum are Digable Roots – a new farm in the Cowichan Valley that grows a variety of mixed vegetables, fruits and herbs, and raises ducks and chickens for meat and eggs. Farmers Meg and Callum also raise ten pigs in collaboration with the land owners, Val and Alan. They are preparing their farm to supply their new food cart this coming spring and will be using the flavours of the farm to create delicious sandwiches, soups and salads.
We will tour the farm, enjoy a catered meal, and take a dive into the steps to building a successful farm on leased land. We will explore what farming on leased land is like and learn about how the B.C. Land Matching Program can help you find the perfect piece of land for you to build your dream farm business – or the perfect farmer for your land. Your regional Land Matcher will share information and answer questions about land matching and how leasing land works. Both farmers seeking land and farmland holders thinking about leasing land are encouraged to attend – as well as anyone who loves food, farming, and getting out onto the land!
DATE: Sunday August 23, 2020 • 12-2pm
LOCATION: Quw’utsun Territory. 6798 Somenos Road, Duncan, BC.
REGISTER: Due to COVID-19, we require registration for our events so we can limit the number of attendees to allow for physical distancing. Please register here to reserve your spot.
SCHEDULE (times are approximate):
1:30-2 Lunch & Networking
BRING: Please bring a chair or blanket to sit on. A catered lunch will be provided, but if you’d prefer you can bring your own meal instead. There will not be any wash stations for dishes available. Optional: face mask.
- Please do not attend if you have any symptoms of illness, or have been in contact with any confirmed or suspected COVID-19 patients. We welcome cancellations at any time, you can do so through eventbrite or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please follow physical distancing guidelines and keep 6 feet apart from other people. No handshakes or hugs please!
- Masks are not required, but bring one to wear if you’d like.
- We will have a hand sanitizer station for your use throughout the event. Please refrain from touching tools, pets and livestock, and door handles etc. on the farm.
- If provincial health guidelines for events change, we may cancel the event and you will be notified by email
- This event is free and open to everyone! Children are welcome but please leave furry friends at home.
- Farmer and chef Callum will provide a delicious farm lunch for us. Options are:
– Grilled veggie sandwiches with duck egg mayo (or with pesto as a vegan option)
– Duck egg salad sandwich (vegetarian)
Both sandwiches can be made into salads for gluten-free diets
– Mixed garden salad with olive oil tarragon vinegar dressing (vegan and gluten free)
Please specify any dietary restrictions when you register for the event and Callum will do his best to accommodate.
- There will be a washroom available in a residence if needed
- Park in the wrap around driveway to the right (with the Digable Roots Farm sign), overflow can go onto the driveway on the left (with the Valalan Farm sign). Please angle park so that vehicles are still able to come and go from the homes, and rideshare if possible!
Join our Young Agrarians Vancouver Island and Gulf Islands Facebook Group to stay up to date with all events and to connect with your local YA farming community
- Sign up for our e-newsletter to get events and opportunities for your region delivered straight to your inbox.
SHARE: Planning on joining us? Invite your friends and share the Facebook event!
ABOUT DIGABLE ROOTS
Meg and Callum who have been developing their skills on farms and in restaurants to create a farm and food cart of their own. Together they envision a full-circle farm-to-fork experience for their community, and reaching out to the BC Land Matching program to help them access land made this all a reality.
They now lease 2.5 acres in the Cowichan Valley to live and grow their crops and livestock for the food cart. Starting with a hay field in October 2019 and have since spaded and prepped 1.5 acres for production and established the infrastructure they needed for their farm. They use sheet-composting, cover crops and livestock for pest and weed management and amending the soil.
Together with the land owners they collaborate to turn the land into a bountiful farm.
Check out Digable Roots online:
UPCOMING VANCOUVER ISLAND EVENTS
Not able to join us for this event? Fear not! Here’s a quick look at the dates and places we’ll be visiting this season.
Saturday, August 29
Pendleton Farm Land Social, Merville
Saturday, September 19
The RE Farm Land Social, Nanaimo
GOT LAND? WANT LAND?
Through the B.C. Land Matching Program, Young Agrarians offers support to farmers looking for land for their farm business, and landholders looking for farmers to farm their land. We’ve made more than 78 matches on over 4,600 acres to date! The Vancouver Island Land Matcher will be attending the event to answer any questions about accessing or offering land through this program. For those unable to join us, you can send a message to email@example.com for more information.
The B.C. Land Matching Program is funded on Vancouver Island by the Province of British Columbia, with support from Cowichan Valley Regional District, the Real Estate Foundation of B.C., and Patagonia.