Date: Sunday June 16, 2019
Location: 3850 Krestova Road in Krestova, near Nelson, BC
SHARE: Please invite your friends and share the Facebook event!
Kootenay Local Agricultural Society Tool Library
The Tool Library is a unique resource available to the public. Kootenay Local Agricultural Society (KLAS) members receive a discount. Tools were carefully selected to ensure they would help farmers be more efficient, but which—because of cost or infrequency of need—farmers wouldn’t buy themselves.
The centrepieces of their fleet are BCS walking tractors and implements such as the tiller, rotary plow, and flail mower that quickly prepare soil and incorporate cover crops on farms the use land intensively with diverse crops. They also have honey extractors, hoop benders, an essential oil still, BCS hay making equipment, root washers, and dehydrators to name a few. All the tools in the library were purchased with grants from Columbia Basin Trust in 2009.
Participants will be able to demo the library’s tools including tillage and haying equipment as well as a chipper and flail mower, watch demonstrations and try them out themselves!
About the Farm: Linden Lane Farms
Linden Lane Farms is located on a multi-generational family-operated farm in Krestova, situated at the southern mouth of the Slocan Valley. The farm is 150 acres consisting of a mixture of forest, pasture and fields on amazing sandy-loam soil, 25 minutes west of Nelson, and 15 minutes east of Castlegar. On this land, Linden Lane Farms produces vegetables, small fruits and nursery plants that they sell online, at local farmers’ markets, grocery stores, and through their CSA.
The Carr family has been farming in Krestova since 1978. In 2012, grandson Matthew began leasing land from his grandparents and has since grown Linden Lane Farms into a successful business producing on 4.5 acres with the help of the entire family and some dedicated staff members.
Linden Lane Farms focuses on providing high quality, safe products, and are committed to soil health, sustainability and organic practices. One of their biggest goals is to be able to feed their family for an entire year and although it has not been possible due to recent commitments, they look forward to striving to reach this goal in the near future.
They are members of Kootenay Local Agricultural Society (KLAS) and house one of three KLAS tool libraries on their property in Krestova.
Got Land? Want Land?
Through the B.C. Land Matching Program, Young Agrarians is offering support to farmers looking for land for their farm business and landowners looking for farmers to farm their land. The Columbia Basin Land Matcher will be attending the event to answer any questions about accessing land through this program. For those unable to join us, you can send a message to email@example.com for more information.
- Closed toed shoes are required for use of the BCS equipment and preferred for the farm tour, as a boot/shoe dip will be required for sanitation before the tour starts.
- Children are welcome to join us for this event but please leave pets at home.
- Not sure what to bring to the potluck? Consider supporting your local, organic farmer and/or food producer and find inspiration with their ingredients. Also, it is greatly appreciated if you can include a little card with the ingredients list for your dish in case people have food allergies/sensitivities.
- Have space in your car? Need a ride? Post on Kootenay Rideshare.
- Join our Young Agrarians Columbia Basin Facebook Group to stay up-to-date with all events.
- Let us know you are joining us buy confirming your attendance on our Tool School Facebook Event Page.
- If you have any questions please contact Hailey@youngagrarians.org.
The Columbia Basin event series is made possible with funding from Columbia Basin Trust.