You’re invited to a socially-distanced outdoor Land Social at Silverstar Veggies in Vernon, B.C.! If you’re curious about what land matching and sharing is all about, join us for the event.
Be inspired and learn about the incredible farming that can be done on leased land! Silverstar Veggies is a brand new market garden on the boundary of city and countryside. Farmer Eric and his partner Miho converted an acre of grass into gardens in just a few weeks! They farm over 40 different types of vegetables, but specialize in greens and tomatoes.
We’ll tour the farm, network, and look at the steps to building a successful land sharing relationship. Your regional Land Matcher will share information about how the B.C. Land Matching Program can help you find the perfect farmer for your land – or farmland where you can build your dream farm business.
Land Socials connect farmers and farmland holders, and set them up to receive ongoing support through the B.C. Land Matching Program. Both farmers seeking land and farmland holders thinking about sharing land are encouraged to attend – as well as anyone who loves food, farming, and getting out onto the land.
DATE: Sunday, July 18, 2021 • 7-9:30pm
LOCATION: Syilx (Okanagan) Territory. 6311 Silver Star Rd, Vernon, BC.
REGISTER: Due to COVID-19, we require registration for our events so we can limit the number of attendees to allow for physical distancing. PLEASE REGISTER HERE TO RESERVE YOUR SPOT.
SCHEDULE (times are approximate):
7-8 pm Farm Tour
8-8:30 pm Introduction circle & B.C. Land Matching Program overview
8:30 pm – on Eat, hang & mingle
BRING: Please bring a chair or blanket to sit on. A catered snack will be provided, but if you’d prefer you can bring your own snacks instead. There will not be any wash stations for dishes available. Optional: face mask.
- Please stay home if you have cold or flu-like symptoms, OR if you’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19 and are completing a period of self-isolation as mandated by public health, OR if you have had contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case in the past 14 days. Refer to the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool for more information.
- We welcome cancellations at any time – you can do so through Eventbrite, through the link in your registration confirmation email, or by contacting email@example.com. Please let us know if you aren’t able to attend so we can open up a spot to someone else.
- Please follow physical distancing guidelines and keep 6 feet apart from other people. No handshakes or hugs please!
- Masks are not required, but bring one to wear if you’d like.
- We will have a hand sanitizer station for your use throughout the event. Please refrain from touching tools, pets and livestock, and door handles etc. on the farm.
- If provincial health guidelines for events change, we may cancel the event and you will be notified by email.
- A catered snack will be available
- This event is free and open to everyone! Children are welcome but please leave furry friends at home.
- Parking will be available at the farm- please park in the designated area.
- There will be a portapotty onsite with hand sanitizer. The house onsite does not belong to the farmer, and there is no access available to the bathroom etc. in the house.
Join our Young Agrarians Okanagan Thompson Facebook Group to stay up to date with all events and to connect with your local YA farming community
- Sign up for our e-newsletter to get events and opportunities for your region delivered straight to your inbox.
ABOUT SILVERSTAR VEGGIES
Silverstar Veggies started in March 2021 in the Foothills area of Vernon, B.C. They farm an acre of veggies, with 2 large greenhouses onsite as well. The farm is based on rented land, within both the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR), and city limits. They are not certified organic, but farm in line with organic standards. The farm is owned and run by Eric Feehely who has 14 years experience working in various types of agriculture both in Ireland, and in Canada. His partner, Miho Shinbo works with him and is loving her first year as a Farmer.
They converted a field of grass to a one acre farm in just a matter of weeks. The farm is right on the boundary of city and countryside, and was an orchard until about a decade ago. They grow 40 different vegetables onsite, but specialize in greens and tomatoes.
Check out Silverstar Veggies online:
UPCOMING THOMPSON-OKANAGAN EVENTS
Not able to join us for this event? Fear not! Here’s a quick look at the dates and places we’ll be visiting this season.
JULY 10, 2021: SALMON ARM, BC
Land Social at Elderberry Grove
GOT LAND? WANT LAND?
Through the B.C. Land Matching Program, Young Agrarians offers support to farmers looking for land for their farm business, and landholders looking for farmers to farm their land. We’ve made more than 146 matches on over 6,000 acres to date! The Thompson -Okanagan Land Matcher will be attending the event to answer any questions about the B.C. Land Matching Program. For those unable to join us, you can send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The B.C. Land Matching Program is funded in the Okanagan by the Province of British Columbia, with support from Patagonia.