The Kamloops Food Policy Council in Kamloops, BC is seeking a Food Hub Coordinator!
The Food Hub Coordinator is responsible for supporting food processing in the Kamloops
region, by facilitating a food hub for the region. This is a decentralized network of services and infrastructure. The long-term vision for the food hub is to foster a thriving regional agriculture and food sector that is a significant contributor to the local economy in our region. The coordinator will work closely with local entrepreneurs to connect them with the support they need to create, grow, and scale local food businesses. The coordinator will work to grow and sustain a dynamic food hub as a catalyst for building a strong local food system in our region, and build the community, connections and partnerships needed to support this vision.
The coordinator works within the Kamloops Food Policy Council’s collaborative leadership
model which capitalizes on the expertise within our organization. This model mirrors the flexible and nimble structure of our network, and furthermore, it helps to create shared knowledge, diversity of knowledge, and increased resiliency. The coordinator works collaboratively with Board directors, other KFPC employees and contracted project leads. The coordinator provides consistency and credibility for the organization by delivering core operational functions of the food hub.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Supporting the successful launch of the food hub by contributing to the development of the project implementation plan and budget, governance model, and food hub policy handbook and standard operating procedures;
- Acting as the first point of contact for local food businesses and potential entrepreneurs, connecting businesses with resources and services provided by the food hub and other community partners (such as kitchen rental or business mentorship training);
- Working with KFPC to create an annual budget for the food hub and operating within the agreed upon budget;
- Working with KFPC and other community partners to pursue funding models, revenue streams and fundraising/grant opportunities to support the long-term financial sustainability of the food hub;
- Communicating effectively with community partners and food hub clients, and
establishing and maintaining beneficial relationships that support the success of the food hub;
- Acting as a spokesperson for the food hub and engaging in community outreach,
including organizing networking and learning events;
- Overseeing all food hub operations in coordination with food hub facility partners,
ensuring all facility components function optimally, including:
- Overseeing centralized scheduling of facility rentals to food businesses, and data collection and reporting on facility usage levels;
- Ensuring that the facilities are clean and maintained according to food hub
policies and procedures;
- Conducting and documenting regular food hub facility inspections and ensuring equipment is ready for scheduled users;
- Overseeing building and grounds maintenance;
- Ensuring security and emergency preparedness procedures are implemented
- Recommending maintenance, mechanical, electrical and facility design
- Overseeing the cleaning schedule, sanitation and food safety level of the food
- Reviewing and updating standard operating procedures for the food hub facilities;
- Assisting in the preparation of all corporate, third party and regulatory
- Training personnel and ensuring personnel maintain applicable industry
standards at the food hub facilities; and
- Facilitating the availability of local laboratory analysis services for food
Additional duties may include:
- Investigating and facilitating aggregation and distribution of local food (i.e. centralized website or similar);
- Investigating economic development opportunities for the region, including promoting the local food economy, attracting new producers and businesses and identifying market opportunities; and
- Initiating cooperative or social enterprises with the potential to offer co-packing services, cooperative marketing and/or distribution.
Relationships and Supervision:
- The coordinator will report to the KFPC Policy Implementation Lead;
- The coordinator will work closely with KFPC’s key partners to support the food hub,
including Gardengate, Thompson Rivers University, Kamloops Innovation, Community Futures Central Interior First Nations, Venture Kamloops, City of Kamloops, Thompson Nicola Regional District and other community partners as they emerge; and
- The coordinator will be the first point of contact for food businesses supported by the food hub, and would connect them with all other required services.
- This is a two year term position, subject to funding approval and the annual performance of the candidate;
- The position is full-time (35 hours per week), and the coordinator may work within a flexible averaging agreement;
- Office space will be provided at the KFPC office, however, the coordinator may be required to work from a home office location dependent on Covid-19 restrictions;
- The work will take place within a highly collaborative team environment with a distributed leadership model;
- Job sharing or contract-based proposals to fulfill the required duties and responsibilities will be considered; and
- Salary is dependent on the experience and qualifications of the candidate and will be set according to the KFPC pay scale.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g. business administration, community development, food safety/food science) and 2-5 years related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Project management skills and experience;
- Strong communications skills;
- Demonstrated leadership and teamwork skills;
- Organized, self-directed and resourceful, good at problem solving; and
- Passionate about building a food system that is regenerative, sovereign and just.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted until Monday, January 25, 2021.
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
Learn more about The Kamloops Food Policy Council