Shalefield Organic Gardens, a certified organic biodynamic market vegetable farm, is seeking immediately an energetic person to fill a farm hand position.
Experience is not required. We provide the opportunity to actively experience, ask many questions and above all learn about successful small farming.
Work will include:
- bed preparation,
- weeding by hand or hand tool,
- cleaning and sorting vegetables for market and CSA boxes.
A typical weekly schedule follows:
- Monday field work including weeding and transplanting, field prep, setting up irrigation.
- Tuesday harvest for CSA and farmers market
- Wednesday finish harvesting for CSA and farmers market, pack CSA boxes.
- Thursday field work including irrigation, field prep, weeding and transplanting.
- Friday harvest for Saturday and Sunday farmers markets.
- The work will include berry picking during the months of July until end of October in our high tunnels.
The work can be physically demanding (bending and lifting), and repetitive (weeding and transplanting). Being physically fit is a must. Work will be performed in all kinds of weather, outside as well as in poly greenhouses. We are looking for someone who is willing and likes to learn, can work efficiently and quickly and independently after being trained. Ideal candidates are positive, self-motivated individuals looking for agricultural ( paid ) training with a community purpose, and in-the-field training on the details of small farm management.
Reliable transportation is a must, transit to the farm not available.
The job will be Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to starting for January and February, later in the year March 4 days, and from April full time. (This is depending on the weather of the early season and the ability to get into the fields)
The right candidate could be offered year round fulltime employment and advancement opportunities. Wages depending on experience and work habit and will be discussed, starting minimum wage.
About Shalefield Organic Gardens
We are a certified organic family farm located in the Columbia Valley, behind Cultus Lake, BC. Chilliwack is about 25 min from the farm. We cultivate 9 acres of land, about 2 acres in berries, strawberries, raspberries (in high tunnel) and blueberries. We grow in 9 poly greenhouses wintergreens, in summer tomatoes and peppers. We sell our produce via five weekly Vancouver farmer markets and CSA boxes.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with resume.