Cow-Op Food Hub in Duncan, BC is seeking a General Manager!
The Cowichan Valley Co-operative Marketplace (CVCM) is a non-profit Community Services Co-op incorporated in 2014, guided by a board of members made up of local farmers, business owners, and community partners to develop collective initiatives addressing local food security and farm viability in the Cowichan Region.
The Cow-Op (www.Cow-op.ca), the first initiative of the CVCM and a partnership with Cowichan Green Community a leading organization in food security initiatives, marks the development of a true Agricultural Food Hub for our region by allowing consumers to shop direct from multiple local farms and other food producers online every week and offering local growers an efficient and centralized aggregation and distribution system for their products making local food access and production more convenient for everyone.
Purpose of Position
The General Manager (GM) has the overall responsibility for the CVCM non-profit organization’s staff, operations and marketing strategy. The GM is accountable to execute the organization’s mission by ensuring continued operation of the Cow-op online marketplace including appropriate staffing and accounting to keep weekly finances and financial records up to date. This position is ideally suited to an individual that has deep interest in food security, farming viability and the agricultural land base in the Cowichan Valley.
The GM is also the operational lead of the Market and is considered the key contact as it relates to the online marketplace and the functioning of market day. This individual must have strong organizational skills as well as be highly adaptable and responsive to both participating producers and customers.
The General Manager (GM) reports to the Cow-Op Board of Directors.
The GM works with both a bookkeeper (3-4 hours/month) and a Market Day and Customer Pick up Day Assistant (approx 10 hours/wk).
The role of the GM includes responsibilities in: Leadership & Human Resources, Financial Management, Marketing, Media & Communications, Relationship Management & Training, Operations & Tech Management.
Leadership & Human Resources
– Determine staffing requirements (interns, Market Assistant)
– Recruitment, retention, development of staff
– Create job postings
– Ensure appropriate management and mentorship opportunities of interns
– Manage the day-to-day tasks of interns that are hired to assist with Market execution
– Provide opportunities for growth and skill-building
– Provide constructive feedback
Engagement of Volunteers
– Provide energy and motivation for members, volunteers
– Liaise with the Cowichan Green Community as required
Engagement of Board of Directors
– Seek and build Board involvement
– Lead monthly Board meetings, including preparation of agenda, filing minutes, keeping current on paperwork and filing for the co-operative
– Execute the Annual General Meeting
– Ensuring membership lists are up to date
– Overseeing vetting and training scheduling of new member applications
– Set up and train new producers for market
– Manage Budget and Projections
– Work with Board Treasurer to develop budget
– Track ongoing sales performance and expenses
– Manage grants and external funding budgets where applicable
– Calculate producer payments, update spreadsheet, write cheques
– Process credit cards and reconcile billing/processing errors
– Submit bank deposits and monthly remittances
– Gather all paperwork for bookkeeper on monthly basis
– Seek opportunities for fundraising, grant applications
Marketing and Communications
– Represent the CVCM and Cow-op at special events, meetings, conferences, and stakeholder engagements building positive community relations and recruiting new customers to the market
– Prepare presentations for funders, conferences, etc.
– Seek out unique opportunities to expand the awareness of the Cow-op brand.
– Work with Board to develop a Marketing Strategy to build both Producer Membership and Customer Base
Develop marketing materials
– Build on the Cow-op brand using flyers, posters, coupons…
– Develop a deep understanding of product offerings and producer profiles
– Target marketing campaigns to generate interest in producers’ products and educate consumers on the benefits of buying locally grown and processed foods
– Work with Joomla newsletter templates to generate a weekly customer newsletter/shop reminder
– Interview, photograph and/or film local food producers for a “Know Your Farmer” segment on the website, social media and print (Valley Voice)
– Seek every opportunity to spotlight Cow-op’s successes by submitting Press Releases to local media outlets
– Initiate media stories on Cow-op.ca using innovative techniques
– Respond positively to media inquiries about The Cow-op.ca in a timely manner
– Maintain an active and engaging social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
Relationship Management & Training
– Act as “go-to” individual for questions related to Market operations, timelines, process etc.
– Ensure adequate initial training and ongoing support are provided to producers on how to use Cow-op.ca
– Manage new customer memberships
– Reconcile abandoned carts as necessary
– Ensure adequate initial training and ongoing support are provided to new members on how to use Cow-op.ca as required
Inventory Management System
– Responsible for all market data in the Cow-op.ca website
– Ensure all new producers complete their online listing page and maintain inventory list up to date (includes photos, pricing)
– Ensure new items are categorized appropriately as they are added
– Continuously monitor site for product information accuracy
Supply Chain Logistics
– With help of Market Assistant, oversee preparation of paperwork for market day, including invoices, checklists, labels, order sheets
– Plan and monitor the movement and storage of goods and products in coordination with the producers, CGC, Hope Farm, and customers.
– Develop and maintain production/delivery schedules.
– Manage product and goods flow, shipping and receiving, packaging, and transportation. This includes items that need to be stored in refrigerated units.
Market Day Execution
– Work with Market Assistant to execute the Market day tasks
– Schedule adequate resources to assist in filling customer orders
– Adjust paperwork as required for out-of-stock management, weight discrepancies
– Conduct post-Market Day assessments to identify lessons learned
– Seek continuous improvement in Market Day process and logistics.
– Maintain cow-op.ca website and it’s Local Food Marketplace template and ensure all accounts are compliant, secure and up to date
This is a part-time position for 20 hours a week at $20/hr, with Wednesdays operating out of our Hope Farm warehouse from 1-7 pm and Thursdays at Cowichan Green Community (360 Duncan St.) The rest of the hours can be done working from home or in an office space provided by Cowichan Green Community. Training starts July 2nd. Funding opportunities could make this a full-time position. Candidate must also possess a valid drivers’ license and a cell phone that can be used as the market contact number.
How to Apply
Please send resume and a cover letter detailing why you think you are the right fit for this job to Heather Kaye at email@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest! We hope to hear from you soon!
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org.