WHAT IS THE GROWING ORGANIC FOOD COURSE?
The Growing Organic Food Course is an in-class and hands on course that helps you grow your own food – from preparing your soil to preserving your harvest.
Join us to gain the essential gardening skills and confidence to grow most of your own food. In this course you will learn to:
- Create and maintain healthy soil, which will grow nutritious, vibrant, health-giving food
- Analyze and optimize the growing conditions in your garden for the best results possible
- Creatively collect, use and preserve water for optimal garden health, and protection of this precious global resource
- Use holistic solutions for plant health problems (“pests” and “diseases”)
- Select, plant, maintain and harvest a large variety of food plants for year-round enjoyment
- Propagate plants to build a diverse food garden at very little cost
- Store your harvest for an abundance of home grown food throughout the winter
- Save your own seeds
Dates: May 30 to July 4. See the full schedule here.
Location: Beban Learning Gardens, Beban Park 2300 Bowen Rd. Nanaimo
Registration fee: $845 (+GST) COG Members Save $50! Join here
This course qualifies for Continuing Education Credits for industry certifications (CNLA, MGOI, NALP, NOFA & SOUL).
- You will need weekly access to a computer and the internet for some course materials.
- An active email address is required for course enrollment.
- This course is offered in partnership with Gaia College and Gaia College’s Policies will apply.
This course is also available online via Gaia College.
Gaia College works to connect people, opportunities and resources to facilitate the education of practitioners of environmentally sound methods, working in partnership with organizations to make programs available to the largest possible audience, and at the lowest environmental cost.