The deadline for applications has passed. We thank all those who applied and we have made our hiring decisions.
For current Ignatius Jesuit Centre employment please see: https://ignatiusguelph.ca/get-
Check back with us in January 2021 for our 2021 Farm Internship program!
View more farm jobs and apprenticeships here.
Ignatius Farm in Guelph, ON, is hiring Farm Associates for the 2019 season.
Ignatius Farm is looking for passionate, imaginative, eco-minded individuals to help us care for the Ignatius organic farm. You will help build the Ignatius Farm vision of developing local food systems, innovative crop production, eco-spirituality, community shared agriculture, and education programs.
About Ignatius Farm
The Ignatius Jesuit Centre (IJC) is a not-for-profit charity situated on 600 acres of woodlands, wetlands and farmland just outside of Guelph Ontario. IJC welcomes all and is home to Loyola Retreat House & Ignatian Training, Ignatius Farm, the Ignatius Old-Growth Forest, St Brigid’s Villa and Orchard Park Office Centre.
Ignatius Farm grows certified organic vegetables and berries for Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) members, farmers markets, local businesses and service agencies. The Farm’s programs include community gardens, acreage rentals, internships and farmer training, working shares, volunteer opportunities, and several annual community events.
Are you passionate, imaginative and ecologically-minded? Help us build the Ignatius Farm vision of developing local food systems, innovative crop production, eco-spirituality, community shared agriculture, and education programs!
- Knowledge or experience in gardening, ecological farming, greenhouse production, or other field work, and using basic tools.
- Works well outside in all weather, at a good pace
- Solid basic math and customer service skills
- Commitment to Health & Safety, operating as a cohesive team, and building community
- Valid G class drivers licence
- First Aid/CPR
The Farm Associates lead farm team members to grow, harvest, and distribute quality organic vegetables and berries.
- Work with and set pace for teams of interns, volunteers, field workers, and external groups
- Plant, transplant, weed, harvest and clean vegetables and berries according to Organic and Food Safety protocols
- Wonderful customer service for CSA, U-pick berries, and Milton Farmers Market
- Utilize and maintain tools, equipment & structures safely and according to training provided
- Support farm education and community programs, Community Gardens, Community Orchard, seasonal events, volunteers, outreach
- Farm Associates will take on specific leadership roles:
- Field Lead – Staff &Production coordination; Field Inventories; Log field activities and production information; Harvest management; Post-harvest handling; Curing, storage & packing; Soil fertility
- Field Lead – Machinery care & field equipment operations
- Berry production & U-pick management
- Indoor Production – Seedlings, microgreens, in-ground crops
- Sales & crop distribution: CSA, Wholesale/produce orders, and/or Farmers Market
- Weekend work may be required
Term: April 15 or May 1, 2019 to August 31 or November 30, 2019
Hours: 40 hours per week average
Submit resume and letter of interest to email@example.com.
Your letter of interest must specify:
- Whether you meet all of the following funding eligibility criteria
- Relevant expertise for any Farm Associate leadership roles
The Berry Farm Associate is funded through the EcoCanada SWILP program. Other roles may be as well.
Indicate if you meet the following criteria, before the start date:
• 30 years old or younger
• Have a valid SIN number
• A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or have refugee status. Students on a work permit or visa are not eligible for SWILP.
• Current post-secondary student studying in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) and Business .
Go to https://www.eco.ca/swilp/studentquiz.aspx to become pre-approved for the EcoCanada Student Work-Integrated Learning Program (SWILP).
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org.
Learn More About Ignatius Farm
View other farm jobs and apprenticeships here.