Green Fire Farm in the Cowichan Valley, BC is hiring multiple Field Crew Members for the 2020 season!
About Green Fire Farm
Green Fire Farm is a diverse, 40-acre family farm producing certified organic vegetables, flowers, fruits, hay, and livestock. We are located in the Cowichan Valley, not far from the trans-Canada trail, some excellent swimming holes, and the active, yet still easy to get around, downtown of Duncan. For our production scale, we rely on a mixed set of tractors and implements, as well as hand tools well designed for the task. We sell at farmers markets and to wholesale buyers throughout Vancouver Island.
We value the opportunity to be a meaningful contributor to our regional food system, and keep a close eye on quality and diversity in what we grow, sell, and share with our Vancouver Island neighbours and neighbouring farmers. Our production practices are informed by more than 20 years of experience with commercial, certified organic farming, by research collaboration and teaching connections with the UBC Faculty of Land and Food Systems, and with a whole lot of humility-and-hallelujah that comes with day-to-day farming.
Strong candidates for any of our field crew positions will have a physical and mental fitness level well matched for farm fieldwork. We think these qualities include:
- Motivated to work hard, with positive work ethic and attitudes
- Motivated to learn, with a future of farming or farming-food connected work life envisioned
- Punctual, steady, and reliable
- Focused, with capacity to work efficiently, with an eye for quality and details
- Experienced and prepared for outdoor working conditions
- Physically fit with ability to comfortably perform repeated tasks on their feet, or on the knees, with moderate, repeated lifting
With our crop mix and integrated livestock, we will be sharing a diverse set of seasonal field tasks. Individual interests and demonstrated strengths with a given task will determine some of the ways these farm-operating duties are divided. The general daily or weekly tasks may include:
- Seedling care and transplanting
- Pruning and trellising
- Cultivation with hand tools
- Crop maintenance activities
- Maintenance of field edges with power tools
- Harvesting, washing, packing duties
- Livestock care and fencing
- Irrigation system establishment and maintenance
Term: Some flexibility for a number of positions that will begin and end within the range of March 15-October 15.
Hours per week: Negotiable up to 40 hours, some part-time or partial season positions may be available.
Wage: We pay current minimum wage ($13.85 currently, increasing to $14.60 on June 1) to start for applicants with no previous farming experience.
For experienced field crew, wages will be determined based on demonstrated capacity and level of commitment/agreed responsibilities.
Access to fresh, organic produce from the farm is included for all field crew, as well as, the standard vacation pay and EI eligibility benefits.
Complete and send the online application available on the work/learn page of our website: www.greenfirefarm.ca
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org