Yellow Point Farms in Ladysmith, BC (Vancouver Island) is hiring a Farm Hand/Assistant for the 2019 season!
About Yellow Point Farms
We are a family run 32 acre farm that is nestled in a sunny valley in Yellow Point. Blueberries are our main crop, but we grow many other types of fruit and vegetables as well. We also have miniature livestock (Nigerian dwarf goats, Babydoll sheep and Kune Kune pigs) that we breed and raise to sell as registered breeding stock to self sustainable farmers on small acreages. We sell our blueberries at farmer’s markets throughout the summer and we will be having a farm stand on the farm this summer.
Our farm is not certified organic but tries to adhere to organic practices as much as possible. The person hired should have a strong commitment to such practices.
The work varies from week to week and will include transplanting, weeding, harvesting, preparation of produce for market, running farm tours and goat yoga, among other tasks. Experience is an asset, but we are happy to train people with a positive attitude who are keen to learn new skills. This work is best suited for people who:
- Enjoy working as part of a team to meet deadlines
- Can maintain a positive attitude despite the adverse conditions that outdoor work often involves
- Is interested, knowledgeable and/or passionate about organic and sustainable farming practices.
- Has prior farming experience (lived, worked or volunteered on a farm)
- Is self-motivated and able to take charge to get a task done if they see something that needs doing (creative problem solver).
- Is hardworking, and physically able to do the tasks required: work in a variety of weather conditions, bending, lifting, kneeling, standing, etc.
- Is able to follow direction, ask questions, and complete tasks efficiently,
- Is able to be organized and help keep the farm that way too.
- Has strong communication skills.
- Is friendly and personable when dealing with the public and visitors to the farm
- Has a valid drivers license &/or access to a vehicle to commute to the farm
- Greenhouse work: seeding, transplanting, plant care, record keeping.
- Bed prep, planting, weeding, pest control.
- Field garden tending and maintenance.
- Harvesting, cleaning, and sorting fruits and vegetables.
Irrigation set up, maintenance and operation.
- Doing farm tours
- Running the farm stand
- Helping with the livestock (cleaning stalls/paddocks, some livestock maintenance such as trimming hooves, vaccinations)
- Helping out with farm events and happenings such as facilitating goat yoga, goat walks, open farm days, etc
- Possibly setting up and vending at farmers markets.
Term: June 12, 2019- August 7, 2019 (8 weeks)
Hours: 30 hours per week
Wage: $14/hr + produce, etc. at the end of the day
How to Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org.
Find Yellow Point Farms Online
Check out the Yellow Point Farms website
View the Young Agrarians jobs blog for more job listings.