Wild Flight Farm in Mara, BC, is hiring for an Organic Vegetable Farm Manager for the 2019 season.
ABOUT WILD FLIGHT FARM
Wild Flight Farm is a 24-acre organic market vegetable farm in BC’s North Okanagan and has provided local markets with a year-round supply of organic produce for the past 25 years. We grow a wide variety of vegetables (from Asparagus to Zucchini and everything in between) on 12-15 acres each season. Our mission is to efficiently produce high-quality vegetables and culinary herbs for local markets while providing living wages and career advancement opportunities for 12 employees.
For more information about Wild Flight Farm, visit the farm website at: wildflightfarm.ca
Click here for a short drone video of the farm.
We are seeking a Farm Manager, who (with guidance and training) will gradually assume responsibility for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the farm. The Farm Manager will work in a team environment and in close cooperation with the Field and Greenhouse Managers.
Duties will include organizing and directing employees, managing and tracking the many aspects of vegetable crop production and marketing, and working alongside the farm crew in harvesting and packing as needed. This position is suited to someone with 3 years experience in vegetable production who is dedicated to organic methods and looking for an opportunity, through a well-established business, to make a sustainable living providing good food to the local community.
Qualifications and Skills:
- At least 3 full seasons of experience on vegetable farms
- Preferably a post-secondary degree or diploma in an agriculture or horticulture-related program
- Competence in operating & maintaining farm tools, machinery, facilities (see list above)
- Previous experience managing and overseeing a team of people
- Proficiency with a variety of office software, website, and social media platforms
- Knowledge of and experience with organic production methods and organic standards
- A positive, can-do attitude and a drive to work quickly and efficiently
- Assist in the recruitment and hiring of 10 seasonal staff
- Develop daily work plans in consultation with the Field and Greenhouse Managers
- Help organize and direct staff to ensure seeding, planting, cultivation, irrigation, harvest and processing/packing deadlines are met
- Coordinate with Field and Greenhouse Managers to ensure that the farm has all necessary supplies, tools, and equipment.
- Work alongside staff as needed to provide instruction and assist in completing tasks
- Create, by example, a positive, co-operative and energetic work environment in which productivity and quality are emphasized
- Assist in developing schedules for successive plantings of field crops, and ensure that they are followed
- Help Field Manager coordinate weekly weeding, irrigation and pest/disease control plans
- Monitor quality control of post-harvest handling and packing of produce for markets
- Oversee management of soil fertility though seeding of green manures and other inputs
- Maintain careful records of all planting, harvesting and crop/soil inputs
- Coordinate maintenance and repair of farm tools, equipment, and facilities
- Prepare weekly harvesting and packing lists of all crops going to market
- Prepare weekly fresh lists for farmers’ market, restaurant, and home delivery customers
- Oversee farm newsletter, website, and social media communication
- Respond to e-mails, compile order lists, and ensure that orders are packed
- Maintain input & production records in accordance with organic certification requirements
- Attend farmers markets as required
Job type: Full-time permanent
Start Date: March 4th, 2019
Hours: 35-40 hours per week
- Position is full-time, year-round with more flexibility hours/time off in winter months
- $42,000 to $62,000 annualized salary (depending on experience) with yearly compensation reviews
- Extended health benefits package, including medical, dental and visual coverage
- Access to farm produce, as seasonally available, for personal/family use
- Off-farm shared house available for rent
Send your resume to Hermann Bruns, by e-mailing Hermann@WildFlightFarm.ca.
Please include a cover letter describing your motivation to apply for this job and the specific skills/experience you have that match the work description and skills required.
Application deadline: February 15th, 2019
Start date: March 15th, 2019
While we thank all those who apply, only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. ONLY applications from Canadian residents (or people with a valid work visa will be considered
SEE MORE FARM JOBS AND APPRENTICESHIPS ON OUR BLOG.