A Rocha Farm in Surrey, BC is hiring a Brooksdale Farm Assistant for the 2020 season!
About A Rocha Farm
A Rocha Farm at Brooksdale is a 3.5 acre mix vegetable production farm that follows organic principles. While transitioning to no till agriculture we do at times use a Kubota tractor with a tiller and disk, 2 Planet Juniors with associated implements, and 2 BCS Tractors with associated implements. Our sales channels include a 200+ CSA, farm gate market, and restaurants.
A Rocha Brooksdale is a non profit environmental organization located on a 27 acre property with farmlands, wetlands, and a river running through it. A Rocha has programs in sustainable agriculture, environmental education, and conservation programs. We also have an internship program with interns specializing in one of our three program areas.
While not certified organic, A Rocha follows organic growing practices.
- At least one year/season working in diversified vegetable production (preferably organic).
- Experience working within the not-for-profit sector an asset.
- Small engine repair an asset.
- Comfortable with hand held power equipment an asset.
- Customer service and sales experience an asset, preferably within the food and/or farming sector.
- Food Safe Level 1 certification an asset
- First Aid and CPR certifications an asset.
- Social media and/or advertising experience and/or WordPress experience an asset.
- Demonstrated embodiment of A Rocha Canada’s Vision, Commitments and Core Values an asset.
- Demonstrated leadership experience; able to comfortably make decisions and execute tasks in a diverse and dynamic working environment.
- Intermediate technical skills in the areas of horticultural production, soil and landscape management, and/or farm equipment use and maintenance in a mixed farm setting.
- Intermediate Microsoft Office and/or Google suit experience.
- Demonstrated communication (verbal/written), facilitation, and interpersonal skills; able to work both independently and within a high-energy team environment; able to resolve interpersonal conflicts professionally; excellent collaboration and group leadership skills.
- Strong organizational skills; able to identify and prioritize tasks with minimal supervision, work independently, and take initiative.
- Must be physically fit, able to lift 50lbs.
- Demonstrated ability to work quickly, efficiently and calmly in high-stress settings for long hours in any weather and bring tasks to completion on time.
- Knowledge and articulation of A Rocha Canada’s Vision, Commitments and Core Values.
- This position will be partially funded by Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Youth Employment and Skills Program, and is contingent on approval.
- While all qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will be considered, applicants 30 years of age or younger will be prioritized pending Agriculture and
- Agri-Food Canada Youth Employment and Skills Program funding.
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment;
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations; and,
- obtain a Criminal Record Background and Vulnerable Sector check.
- Assist in all aspects of crop production, including soil management and cultivation, seeding, planting, weeding, irrigating, harvesting, post harvest processing and packing.
- Record keeping for all required field activities.
- Participate in other general farm tasks as required.
- Assist with CSA management, communication, sales, and delivery.
- Assist with restaurant communication, sales, and delivery.
- Assist with A Rocha Market sales.
- Assist in training and supervision of Program Interns and Volunteers.
- Work in collaboration with Brooksdale staff for other onsite activities as needed.
Term: March 17, 2020 to December 12, 2020 with the possibility of extending part/full time through the winter months.
Hours: Full time (5 days/wk; 40 hrs/wk; Tuesday to Saturday)
Wage: $17.00 per hour
How to Apply
Email, as a single PDF document, a cover letter and resume clearly detailing your experience and qualifications for this position to Ryan Weemhoff (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Ensure your email subject line clearly refers to the Brooksdale Farm Assistant position.
Ensure that your name and the position title are included in the PDF file name.
Deadline to apply: February 29, 2020
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org.
Learn More About A Rocha Farm
Visit the A Rocha Farm Website.
Like A Rocha Farm on Facebook.
Follow @arochacanada on Instagram.
Follow @arochacanada on Twitter.