Salix and Sedge in Salmo, BC is seeking a Market Garden Farm Hand for the 2019 season.
About Salix and Sedge
Salix and Sedge is a certified organic farm located in the Salmo Valley, and is owned and operated by Brendan and Cali who began farming in 2015. Our farm is small-scale, and we produce a range of vegetables for our Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) program, farmers markets, and for a variety of local food processors and retailers.
Salmo is a small community of about 1100 people, and we live just on the edge of town- far enough away to feel rural, but only a 10 minute walk into town for groceries or the library!
We primarily use a BCS tractor, but also occasionally a larger Yanmar tractor for breaking new ground or flipping compost.
Our farm is certified organic through the Kootenay Organic Growers Society. Our mission is to grow nutritious, high quality food for our community while maintaining the great diversity in our farm-wetland ecosystem.
We also get our soil tested every year for major and minor nutrients, PH, organic matter levels and cation exchange capacity. We use the results of these tests to tailor a custom prescription of organic amendments and agricultural practices to help create the healthiest soil we can. Our goal is to grow the most delicious and nutrient dense food we are capable of producing, while staying true to our environmental and social values.
-full-time student over the 2018-19 academic year and returning to full-time studies in the fall of 2019
-legally entitled to work in Canada
-aged 15 or older prior to the employment start date
-It is an asset for the student to have worked on other farms before, but not required
- Must be able to communicate effectively with farm managers, and ask questions when a task is unclear
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment
- Must be able to follow directions well, multi-task, and employ problem solving skills
- Must be physically fit and capable of working full days outdoors in all weather conditions
- Student must either be pursuing an education in an agricultural field (ex. agriculture, horticulture, biology, etc) and/or have future career aspirations of farming
*Student must have weather and task appropriate clothing (work gloves will be provided. Rain gear, rubber boots, sun protection, and light, breathable clothing are essential and must be provided by the employee)
- Preparing soil for planting
- Planting seeds and transplants
- Weeding, watering, and cultivating
- Monitoring plant development and pest/disease pressure (keeping records and intervening with pest management strategies when necessary)
- Harvesting vegetables
- Preparing produce for sale (ex. washing, trimming, packing, labeling)
- Record keeping
- Assisting with construction of infrastructure (ex. greenhouse, cold storage facility)
making potting soil
- Using and maintaining small equipment (ex. Walk-behind tractor, seeder, mower)
- Potential to help with sales and marketing
- Potential to help coordinate volunteers
Term: April 23-July 30, 2019 with the potential of extension
Hours: 40 hours per week.
- Fresh veggies to take home when available
- Mentoring in farming skills and techniques
- Working outside every day in fields surrounded by wetlands and forest
This position is pending on funding.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Brendan and Cali at email@example.com.
Learn More About Salix and Sedge
View other farm jobs and apprenticeships here.