This position has been filled.
View the Young Agrarians jobs blog for more job listings.
Yellow Point Farms in Ladysmith, BC (Vancouver Island) is hiring a Farm Hand for the 2020 season!
About Yellow Point Farms
We are a family run 32 acre farm that is nestled in a sunny valley in Yellow Point. Blueberries are our main crop, but we grow many other types of fruit and vegetables as well. We also have miniature livestock (Nigerian dwarf goats, Babydoll sheep and Kune Kune pigs) that we breed and raise to sell as registered breeding stock to self sustainable farmers on small acreages. We sell our blueberries at farmer’s markets throughout the summer and we will be having a farm stand on the farm this summer.
Our farm is not certified organic but tries to adhere to organic practices as much as possible. The person hired should have a strong commitment to sustainable and natural practices.
The work varies from week to week and will include transplanting, weeding, harvesting, preparation of produce for market, possibly running farm tours in the summer, among other tasks. Experience in an agricultural setting is an asset, but we are happy to train people with a positive attitude who are keen to learn new skills. This work is best suited for people who:
- Enjoy working as part of a team but can also work alone efficiently
- Can maintain a positive attitude despite the adverse conditions that outdoor work often involves
- Is interested, knowledgeable and/or passionate about organic and sustainable farming practices.
- Has prior farming experience (lived, worked or volunteered on a farm)
- Is self-motivated and able to take charge to get a task done if they see something that needs doing (creative problem solver).
- Is hardworking, and physically able to do the tasks required: work in a variety of weather conditions, bending, lifting, kneeling, standing, etc., can lift 50+ lbs.
- Is able to follow direction, ask questions, and complete tasks efficiently,
- Is able to be organized and help keep the farm that way too.
- Has strong communication skills.
- Is friendly and personable when dealing with the public and visitors to the farm
- Has a valid drivers license &/or access to a vehicle to commute to the farm (there is no public transit)
- Horticulture work: seeding, transplanting, plant care, record keeping.
- Bed prep, planting, weeding, pest control.
- Field garden tending and maintenance.
- Harvesting, cleaning, and sorting fruits and vegetables such as blueberries and garlic.
- Doing farm tours (possibly)
- Helping with the livestock (cleaning stalls/paddocks, some livestock maintenance such as trimming hooves, vaccinations)
- Running the farm stand
- Possibly setting up and vending at farmers markets.
Term: Can start as early as May 19, 2020. Start date is a bit flexible.
Hours: 30-40 hours per week
Wage: Hourly wage is $15-$17 / hr depending on experience
How to Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter detailing your experience, and 3 current and relevant references to email@example.com.
Deadline to apply: May 22, 2020
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org.
Find Yellow Point Farms Online
Check out the Yellow Point Farms website