Linden Lane Farms in Krestova, BC is seeking a Greenhouse Manager!
ABOUT Linden Lane Farms
We are a family operated farm located in Krestova, situated at the southern mouth of the Slocan Valley. The farm is 150 acres consisting of a mixture of forest, pasture and fields on amazing sandy-loam soils. We cultivate over ten acres across three farm sites, where we produce our diverse selection of vegetables, small fruits and nursery plants. We hire up to 14 full-time seasonal employees each year that are enthusiastic about growing organic food. Our products are available at our farm stand, local farmer’s markets, through our CSA box program, at local grocery stores and online. Certified Organic by PACS #16-786.
We are on a mission to make healthy growing and eating easier! As a leader in our region, we are consistently learning and improving our unique blend of modern and traditional practices to improve our soils and crop quality. We are always looking to add like-minded individuals to our team who have a passion for agriculture and want to work toward improving our community’s access to local food!
We are looking for a manager to operate daily tasks inside our greenhouses and high tunnels. Experience in organic vegetable production, specifically greenhouse production is required. This is a rewarding outdoor/indoor job to learn new production practices and develop management skills. GH Manager will oversee greenhouse vegetable, transplant and nursery stock production in 2 heated greenhouses and 8 unheated tunnels. This greenhouse manager position is essential for production; the candidate must commit to a full season of employment.
- 1+ years of commercial greenhouse or vegetable production experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to lead and motivate others
- Physically fit; able to bend for long periods of time, lift items up to 20kg
- Strong work ethic and positive attitude throughout long days of physical, repetitive work in all weather conditions
- Able to take direction, learn quickly, ask for help and clarity as needed, and accept and act on constructive feedback
- Ability to work well in both a group setting and independently
- Takes initiative and pays attention to detail and quality
- Able to work in all weather conditions (rain, sun, or snow)
- Flexible; able to adapt to shifting priorities and conditions and help out where needed including extended hours and weekend/holiday work
- Valid class 5 driver’s license with clean driving records required (will be added to commercial vehicle insurance)
- Basic English language required
Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Communicate daily with the Production Manager to create and review plans, and establish priorities for the day
- Lead the crew of Greenhouse Workers and/or Farm-hands in executing daily activities, ensuring efficient operations and transitions between tasks
- With guidance from the Production Manager, provide training and communication to crew on techniques, methods, pace expectations, quality standards and protocols
- Maintain required recordkeeping such as seeding, fertilizing and pest management records for greenhouse spaces
- Clean, maintain and sanitize tools and equipment according to designated schedule and SOP
- Communicate greenhouse supply and tool needs to Production Manager
- Keep facilities, equipment and tools clean, organized and in working order
- Participate in production tasks such as seeding, transplanting, irrigating, pruning, etc.
- Other farm duties as required
Term: Start early to mid February 2023
Hours per week: Seasonal; approximately 35-45 hours/week February to December with possibility of extension/year-round work
Wage: Compensation: $38,000-50,000 annual salary, in line with experience and qualifications
Benefits: Farm stand/market discount, produce seconds, extended health benefits package
This is a permanent, ongoing position; priority will be given to candidates who are interested growing with our farm in the coming years and willing to make a 2+ year commitment
Please email job package (cover letter and resume) to email@example.com with “Position title: Your Name” in subject. Include the following in your cover letter; your passion for agriculture, what you are hoping to learn/achieve and how you fit this position. Please include contact details for at least two professional references, (they will not be contacted without your permission).
If you are interested in other open positions, please submit one application and indicate interested positions in your email.
Applications will be reviewed as they’re received, so we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible. Positions remain open until filled. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
While we invite all applications, only those selected for an interview may be contacted.
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Linden Lane Farms