Juniper Farm in Wakefield, QC is looking for a General Manager for the 2019 season!
ABOUT JUNIPER FARM
Juniper Farm is an organic (and biodynamic) farm comprising a 200-acres in Wakefield, QC. We currently provide food for an onsite farmstore, restaurants, retailers and individuals. We have been in operation for 13 years and have 5 acres and 4 greenhouses (100ft*30ft) in veggie production. We have a dynamic team made up of 10 – 15 people for 7 months of the year and 3-5 people for the remaining colder months.
We are looking for a skilled communicator who is a responsible, competent, organized, flexible, loyal, hardworking, quick mover, smart, and lighthearted individual to join and grow with the Juniper Farm team.
If you feel like you might be this person, have the capacity in your life to take this role on, and would like to spend several years (or longer) on Juniper Farm then please contact us ASAP (contact details below).
- Minimum three years experience working on a market garden or mixed vegetable farm
- Strong leadership skills
- Comfort with RESPONSE-ABILITY
- Physically strong and able to do hard labour
- Quick learner, thinker and mover
- Tractor operator and comfort with machinery
- Staff management experience
- Bilingual an asset (French and English)
- Organized in executing tasks
- Efficient communicator and skilled delegator
- Ability to prioritize information
- Deep understanding of organic vegetable farming thereby allowing for good decisions to be made.
- Love of growing and eating great food!
Term: Start as soon as possible with a year contract. Possibility of renewal for January 6, 2020.
Hourly Requirements: Overall you will be working between 1600-2000 hours/ year
- January 2019 – weekly planning days until March 11th.
March 11th – available for some weekly greenhouse work and training (estimate 8-16hrs/week)
- April 1st– December 1st– There will be a requirement to be available Monday-Friday for 8 or more hours a day. There will be occasional weekend work with farm events.
- Following Dec 1st there will be weekly planning days again and perhaps seasonal work.
Vacation Time: All statutory holidays will be paid out accordingly whether working or not, however between April 1st – Dec 1st you will be required to work at the farm instead taking the day off.
The farm is closed from Dec 21st, 2019 to January 5th, 2020
This time is not considered vacation time, it is unpaid time off with pay of stat holidays.
All vacation time must be pre-approved by owners and might be declined depending on seasonal work load.
On this yearlong contract between April 1st and December 1st there will be an allowance for 5 days of unpaid vacation. There is much more flexibility between December 1st and April 1st for time off and shuffling around of work days. A standard rate will be paid out yearly of 4% vacation pay.
NOTE: Between April 1stand Dec 1st Juniper Farm will not be able to approve more than 5 days of vacation in total, and not more than 2 consecutive days in a row. If you choose vacation days need not be use and vacation pay will be compensated at the end of the contract.
Sick Days: There will be 3 paid sick days
Compensation: Depending on experience this person will receive $17 – $20 per hour (depending on experience)
- All fresh eating needs can be harvested from the garden or taken from cold room as seconds.
- All other products in the farm store are 15% off.
- IN WINTER: Anything taken from cold-room for personal consumption, aside from staff box, is 50% off and must be weighed and paid to the hub float.
- Processing food ie. Bulk tomatoes can be bought at the bulk rate.
Accommodations: There several paid accommodation options available to be discussed.
Please send your resume as soon as possible to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about Juniper Farm:
View other farm jobs and apprenticeships here.