Fresh Roots Urban Farming Society in Vancouver, BC is hiring a Market Coordinator for the 2019 season!
ABOUT FRESH ROOTS
Our 1/2 acre Schoolyard Market Garden sites are situated in South East Vancouver. We use small scale, sustainable farming practices to grow produce for our CSA, market sales and programming.
Our vision is Good Food For All! We envision a world where everyone has access to healthy food, land, and community. We cultivate engaging gardens and programs that catalyze healthy eating, ecological stewardship, and community celebration.
We enact our mission through Schoolyard Market Gardens, educational farms that we utilize as pathways to youth empowerment and employment. We facilitate outdoor experiential learning with teachers and students; mentor youth leaders through garden clubs and summer programming; host internships for high school–aged youth, fostering self-confidence, leadership, and employment skills; and empower Vancouverites to grow their own food through our volunteer programs. All our food is sold into the school community—into cafeterias, food-access programs, markets, and to our neighbours. We also work with other schools and organizations to develop their own market gardens and associated programming. We are a thought leader in institutional food-systems change and outdoor experiential learning.
- You have a gift for the gab! You love talking to people, sharing new recipes, stories from the farm stories about you!
- Your friends might say that you’re a natural salesperson, experience running a farmer’s market stand is an asset
- You love food, and you may have experience in gardening or farming,
- Experience leading teams of peers and youth, an asset
- Able to work physically: lifting, bending, squatting, and moving.
- Team player with patience and a sense of humour (vegetable puns encouraged)
If you love seeing food you grew from seed go into the hands of customers, this is the position for you! Through this role you will:
- Lead our Wednesday and Saturday Farmer’s Markets.
- Work with Fresh Roots staff and youth to set up and take down market stalls, handle and promote sales, and share Fresh Root’s mission with the public.
- Assist the Fresh Roots Farm Managers in growing Good Food on school grounds: crop production, field maintenance, harvesting, and produce sales.
You’ll be part of a strong team who is working to support Good Food. That means you’ll have a chance to learn and work in many areas of the organization, including elementary and youth education and empowerment programming.
Term: Begins May 13th, 640 hours from May – October.
Schedule: Tuesday-Saturday from May – August, and Saturdays in September and October.
Hours: 40 hrs/wk
How to Apply
E-mail a short cover letter (500 words) and resume (in one document) to email@example.com with your name and the name of the job position in the subject.
Your cover letter should address the following:
- Why you are interested in the position.
- Experiences you have that support your application (i.e. Market sales and farm experience)
- Qualities that make you a strong Market lead
Applications must be received no later than April 22nd. Review of applications and interviews will begin immediately upon reception. We regret that due to the high volume of applicants only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Fresh Roots hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org.
Learn More About Fresh Roots
View the Young Agrarians jobs blog for more job listings.