Shuswap Organics in Enderby, BC is seeking a Field Manager for the 2021 season!
ABOUT Shuswap Organics
Shuswap Organics operates at two locations – Enderberry Farm (which we co-own), and a leased plot down the road. Located in the Shuswap River Valley of the North Okanagan, overlooking the stunning Enderby Cliffs, Enderberry Farm is 21 acres of rolling hills and forest. We lease 2 additional acres at the beautiful West Enderby Farm just outside of Enderby.
Our mixed vegetable enterprise is hiring a Field Manager for this season. We’re growing on a total of about 3 acres of land. We use a combination of hand weeding and human powered work, as well as use a small tractor and cultivating tractor where topography and conditions allow. We grow for a 60 member CSA, farm stand, restaurants, and wholesale clients.
We are certified organic, and believe in growing healthy fresh food for our community that also supports the health of our animals and the environment. Overall I think we’re “low till”, with a mixture of no-till areas, and areas of more conventional tillage and cultivating practices.
We are looking for a Field Manager to work alongside us, Owen and Emily, to successfully execute the growing plan for the 2021 season (and potentially beyond!). Our ideal candidate is dedicated, hard working, self-motivated, positive, flexible, solutions oriented, and values collaboration. We are looking for someone who is experienced and passionate about organic small-scale agriculture, and ideally has management experience.
- Minimum 3 years experience in vegetable farming (and ideally organic methods)
- Ability to work with the team to assess the needs of the day/week/month and has the flexibility to tweak plans and methods as needed
- Strong observation skills for transplant readiness, harvest timing, product quantity and quality, etc.
- Understands the importance of a well-made and consistent kale or carrot bunch.
- Familiarity with overhead and drip irrigation systems, bed prep rakes, various hoes, wheel hoe, flame weeders, backpack sprayers, Jang seeder, Earthway seeder, row cover, landscape fabric, tarps, and mulches.
- Good time management, record keeping, and organizational skills
- Positive leadership style, and a team player
- Hard working
- Strong and clear communicator, and confidence to ask questions when tasks or expectations are unclear
- Experience managing and delegating tasks to farm staff, and ability to motivate and train novice staff
- Be able to work in all weather conditions, physically fit and energetic (must be able to lift 40lbs repeatedly)
- Be able to work under pressure while maintaining supportive and communicative atmosphere with co-workers
- Detail oriented
- Cultivating tractor experience is desired, but not necessary
- Day to day operations include: seeding, transplanting, harvesting, weeding, washing produce, irrigation, fertility and pest management, bed preparation, etc.
- Close communication with Owen and Emily regarding the management of day to day operations and developing weekly work schedules: seeding, potting up, irrigation, transplanting, bed preparation, weeding and cultivating, harvesting, washing and packing produce for sale. Follow through on assigned tasks and responsibilities.
- Management of field staff (1-2 people) (including provide direction, instruction and guidance on completing of farm tasks, and balance between efficiency and quality of tasks/product)
- Estimating harvest amounts ahead of harvest (can be trained on this)
- Keep diligent production records of seeding dates, planting dates, harvest yields, amendment application, manure management, etc.
- Tracking and ordering supplies as needed
- Ensuring that crop plan is executed
- Packing for wholesale and CSA
- Work with the rest of the team to ensure farm spaces and equipment are left in a clean and organized manner at the end of each workday
- Able to problem solve and improvise in uncertain conditions
- Punctual and prepared to work
Term: The position begins in early to mid April, and ends in mid-late October. There is potential to continue through the winter months.
Hours per week: It is 40 hours per week, 5 days a week, Monday-Friday, with the option for additional hours in peak season. Work days typically start between 6AM-7AM depending on daylight and temperatures.
Wage: is negotiable between $18-20/hour depending on candidate’s experience.
Accommodation: On farm accommodation is not available. However, off site accommodation for affordable rental price may be possible for the right candidate. Please indicate your interest in accommodation in your application and we will follow up with more information.
Please submit a 1 page (MAXIMUM) letter of interest telling us why you’re interested in this role, and what you would bring to our team. Also include your resume (maximum 2 pages) and at least 2 professional references. Email to Emily.Jubenvill@gmail.com by February 15, 2021.
While we thank all those who apply, only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. ONLY applications from Canadian residents (or people with a valid work visa will be considered).
Deadline to apply: March 31, 2021
They also have a Farm Hand position available.
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org