Northlands Urban Farm in Edmonton, AB is recruiting a summer student to work May through August. A young person whose interests and experience include both urban agriculture and education would be ideal!
Working as a member of the Agriculture team, the Urban Farm Education Coordinator will work primarily at the Northlands Urban Farm where you will engage hundreds of visitors in several environmentally beneficial activities related to urban agriculture. With its gardens, chickens, and beehives, Northlands Urban Farm serves as an urban farm and an agriculture learning centre.
- Facilitating tours at the urban farm for school groups and summer camps
- Developing and executing additional programs that augment Northland Urban Farm’s current degree of sustainability and expand Northland Urban Farm’s capacity to promote ag-literacy, specifically to increase awareness of sustainable urban agricultural practices
- Building and installing homes for native pollinators, bats, and song birds
- Setting up an efficient compost system
- Establishing a weather station
- Setting up a rainwater catchment system
- Planting fruit trees and perennials that support pollinators, produce food, retain moisture, and create shade
- Ensuring our guests have a safe and enjoyable trip at the farm
- Be available full-time between May 1 and August 31, 2019.
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected persons under the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and legally entitled to work and study in Canada.
- Be an Alberta resident with an Alberta address and living and/or attending school in the province;
- Have attended a high school or a post-secondary institution in the 2018-2019 Academic Year (September 2018- June 2019) and returning to school full time in the following year.
- Preference will be given to applicants that have beekeeping experience
As a not-for-profit, agricultural society, Northlands focused on creating memorable experiences that bring together amazing events, agricultural awareness and community enrichment
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org.