10 Acres Farm is a farm-to-table operation in North Saanich on Vancouver Island—they are seeking farm workers for the 2018 season!
ABOUT 10 ACRES FARM
A 10 acre mixed veggie-fruit-livestock farm located on the Saanich peninsula, Vancouver Island, BC. The small orchard includes quinces, figs, lemons, limes, apples, pears, and apricots. There are also table grapes, black currants, blueberries, marionberries, loganberries, strawberries, and raspberries.
The livestock plan for this year includes honey bee hives, pastured turkeys, pastured pigs, and pastured ducks. The mixed field crops are grown on 1.5 acres and include mixed veggies, herbs, asparagus, and cut flowers. All food raised goes directly to the restaurant and we process all restaurant food waste on farm for compost.
- Minimum 1 season farm-related work experience
- Ability to work quickly but diligently
- Must be physically fit and capable of hard physical work and repetitive tasks (including bending, lifting, crouching, and long periods of standing)
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather (frost, rain, wind, heat) for long hours
- Attention to detail, cleanliness, and good aesthetic sense Experience driving larger vehicles or driving with a trailer
- Excellent oral communication skills and conflict resolution skills
- Highly self-motivated, positive attitude, adaptable, organized
- Ability to work well alone and in a team
- Ability to troubleshoot problems with limited supervision
- Willingness to bring livestock animals to slaughter
- Basic experience with mechanics, carpentry, plumbing, and/or electrical work an asset
- Respectful roommate: can peacefully co-exist in shared living space with other farm employees
- Must be present on farm 1 of every 5 weekends for rotating livestock chores
- Valid Drivers’ licence required for regular produce deliveries in a large van
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Never leaves a job unfinished and has exceptional follow through
- Does what they say they are going to do and asks for help when they need it
- Has an extremely high level of personal responsibility
- Is cool-headed, grounded and reasonable
- Is not overwhelmed or dissuaded by problems, but instead looks for solutions and permanent fixes
- Is proactive and anticipates future needs
The farm worker will work and learn alongside a farm team of 4. You’ll participate in most aspects of food raising on the farm including:
- Field prep, amendment application, transplanting, irrigation installation, harvest, post-harvest processing
- Various field and orchard tasks including weeding, mulching, clearing beds, cutting grass, weed wacking
- Livestock breeding and care (feeding, watering, managing herd/flock health, other daily tasks)
- Rotational pasture and perimeter fence setup, maintenance, and repair
- Maintaining a clean and aesthetically pleasing farm appearance
- Small and large machinery and tool operation
- Working with compost processing and applying compost tea with a backpack sprayer
- Supply runs, and other farm tasks as needed
There are two positions available
- March 1 – November 1, 2018
- April 1 – Oct 1, 2018
HOURS: 40hrs/week, with weekend work required for rotating animal care duties 1 of every 5 weeks. **Early mornings required during summer months**
WAGE & COMPENSATION: Minimum wage -Housing provided (valued at $325 and taken off pay) semi-separate housing with wifi, fully equipped kitchen, furnished bedroom. Bathroom, shower and laundry located in adjoining farm cottage, separated from main living space by a door. -In season farm fruit and veg. Basic staples and meal preparation are your responsibility.
Send resume and cover letter outlining your previous farm experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for applying and good luck on your job search!