Chuckleberry Farm in Beasley, near Nelson, BC is accepting applications for their Organic Microgreen & Farming Business Internship for the 2020/21 season!
About Chuckleberry Farm
Chuckleberry is located on a pristine 18-acre property in the Selkirk Mountains, 10 miles west of Nelson British Columbia. The land is south sloping with a very generous south exposure supporting a unique micro climate great for organic gardening & orchards as well as passive solar, photovoltaic power and annualized Geo Solar Building.
Chuckleberry is a certified organic community farm that operates year round from our in ground earthship that is largely heated and powered by the sun. The earthship supports the growth of over 10,000 pounds of microgreens each year. During the growing season we produce a wide variety of certified organic crops, berries and fruits for our community, retailers, restaurants and ski lodges in the Kootenay and Okanagan regions of British Columbia. We are a mountain farm surrounded by evergreen forest with a white water creek along our western boundary.
We have a variety of organic gardens, some of which are in 30-inch high-insulated raised beds to preserve our gardener’s knees and backs. These beds have hoop houses on them that allow us with some crops to grow right through the winter and with other crops extend the primary growing season by up to a month on either end of the season. We also have fields with rows of composting straw bails that we grow thousands of pounds of squash and zucchini in, while we are creating nutrient dense soil from the straw.
What is so unique about Chuckleberry?
At Chuckleberry we value the rich relational field we cultivate while working as a team generating high yield certified organic crops with a small ecological footprint.
We welcome interns that are enthusiastic about the opportunity to deeply learn about themselves while they develop the skills of operating an organic farm.
Even though we grow a wide range of organic vegetables, our crop that brings us the most fulfillment is the inspired evolution of human consciousness. An internship at Chuckleberry is not only an opportunity to develop skills in organic farming and sustainable living in a conscious intentional community, it is an opportunity to develop and deepen your connection with your inner life. – who you are, what’s your purpose, and how you want to inhabit this experience of life. Our weekly Community Emotional Intelligence trainings will develop in you a deeper, more genuine, more soul satisfying way of relating.
Interns must have
- A sincere interest in personal growth and exploring their deeper nature
- Good communication and organizational skills.
- Office skills such as, well developed computer skills, especially with Microsoft word, with Excel and Quickbooks being a valuable asset.
- The ability to work both in team as well as maintain focus and motivation in self supervised work flows.
- Sincere enjoyment of productive and efficient work that can be very physical
YOU WILL LEARN:
- The organic certification process
- How to grow several varieties of microgreens
- How to harvest, package and market microgreens
- What a bokashi compost system is and how to use it
- How to build organic soil from scratch
- Crop planning and crop rotation
- Planting and caring for starter seedlings
- Drip irrigation systems and watering schedules
- Bed preparation and amendments
- Fertilizing, composting and creating teas
- Successful transplanting techniques
- Organic pest management
- Superior harvesting techniques, cleaning and storage
- Green manure cropping
- Packaging and marketing
- Preparing order sheets and invoicing
- Farm accounting
Room & Board
Organic Meals: Our kitchen is fully stocked with organic ingredients. A vegan/vegetarian diet is provided with fish available. Lunch is lovingly prepared on all working days. Interns can cook whatever they like in their time off with the abundant ingredients available. A recent volunteer puts it best: “ALSO the food is non stop DELICIOUS, so many great inspiring cooks, a pantry full of playful ingredients and so much love put into all the meals and sweet treats!”
Accommodation: We have a variety of accommodations available and will do our best to meet your needs.
We have a comfortable community centre that includes our kitchen, living room area, bathing facilities and practice room. The practice room is a large, bright, comfortable room stocked with yoga mats, instruments, meditation pillows, a library, and much more. Use of internet is available with some restrictions. Free laundry facilities are available.
Living at Chuckleberry also allows you to sample the highly-coveted West Kootenay lifestyle – a balance of the spectacular outdoors. Top notch hiking trails, mountain biking, mountain lake canoeing, white water river kayaking and world class ski resorts. As well as unique, vibrant towns like Nelson and Kaslo, brimming with music, art and kind-hearted people.
Term: Feb 20, 2020 – Feb 20, 2021
Hours: Interns work commitment is 30 hours and 2 hours Emotional Intelligence Training each week. Work hours are from 8:30am -12pm and 1pm -3:30pm with lunch prepared in house.
Stipend: Organic meals and accommodation. $300/month stipend + commitment completion bonus of final payment $1000
We cultivate our consciousness daily through our choice of presence observing our feelings as they arise. We are learning to relax into our uncomfortable feelings and own the projections that can stem from these often disowned feelings. A Chuckleberry internship is a unique opportunity to explore this without being rushed and with the support of a community that holds the same intentions.
We provide healthy lifestyle choices and limit choices that are less supportive to our intention of nourishing the healthy evolution of consciousness. We intend to fully inhabit our lives in all of their beauty and their challenges. We choose not to medicate our uncomfortable feelings but rather to develop our capacities to fully welcome all of the learning that comes through honestly facing all that’s inside of us. We cultivate presence, awareness and a sincere interest in our own self-discovery.
We provide a smoke, drug, alcohol, cell phone and computer free work environment on the farm. Computers and phones are used in the farm office.
We have an inhouse Emotional Intelligence training each week to support our ever-deepening relationships with highly effective relational skills. We also have a room in our community centre that is a dedicated space for people to engage in daily morning practices (eg. Yoga, pranayama, meditation). In afternoons and evenings, the space moulds to fit community sharing circles, yoga classes, drawing workshops, various meditation practices, movie nights.
If you have been looking for a place where you can prioritize your inner life and personal growth….
If you have been wanting to discover more of who you are through living closely with others in a conscious, intentional community….
If you have been wanting to learn high yield-small footprint organic farming…
Chuckleberry may just be what you have been looking for.
We require a minimum commitment from February 20th, 2020 – Dec 20th, 2020. The Intern will be paid with organic meals and accommodation, a stipend of $300 per month with a commitment completion final payment of $1000.
Please email your resume and application, including Interview Questions below to:
If you have any questions please feel free to call 250-359-6669.
Chuckleberry General Interview Questions
- Are you fluent in English sufficiently so that you can follow detailed verbal instructions accurately?
- What are your three best qualities?
- What are your three greatest challenges?
- Do you have any physical or mental challenges that we should be aware of?
- What is your relationship to marijuana, alcohol and drugs?
- Please let us know in detail what kind of skills you have or jobs you have had in the following areas. Additionally, please rate each area between 1 and 5 indicating your level of skill. (1 = little experience and 5 = expert skill)
- Greenhouse work and\or garden work? (please detail your experience in this area)
- Construction and or maintenance work?
- Computer and\or office work; website/social media?
- Could you provide us with two English speaking references we could reach by phone?
- Please include a clear picture of your face and a phone number that we could reach you at. Please also indicate a good time to call you.
Thank you for your time!
When applying, please mention you saw this job at youngagrarians.org