Young Agrarians is hiring a Communications Coordinator!
Location: British Columbia
Application Deadline: 5pm, Monday, June 20, 2022
ABOUT YOUNG AGRARIANS
Young Agrarians (YA) is an educational resource network for new and young ecological farmers in Canada. YA recognizes the Indigenous lands and territories that we work on and alongside. YA is committed to providing programs and services that are inclusive and available to farmers and friends of diverse backgrounds. Since 2012, the YA network is volunteer-driven, with farmers across the country organizing on-farm events and building community to create spaces for knowledge sharing and growth. YA began as a seed of an idea and since has grown into a dynamic educational network and set of programs that target the educational needs of new and young farmers.
YA’s Grow-a-Farmer Strategy works to deliver the following programs:
- National: aggregate resources and opportunities online;
- National: coordinate educational and networking events on and off farm year-round, as well as e-learning;
- Prairies: on-farm apprenticeship training program in regenerative agriculture;
- BC & Alberta: land access programming and supports; and,
- BC: business mentorships.
YA works to grow the sector by supporting new entrants through farmer-to-farmer learning. The theory of change is to engage new and young farmers and the farm-curious online, bring them together to network and learn together on and off farms, support access to training opportunities and resources, and when ready to start farms, provide educational supports for land access, business readiness, and peer mentorship. The long-term goal is to grow connections to each other and the land in order to grow a resilient and climate-adapted food system for a healthy future.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diverse communities we collaborate with and serve. The organizational culture is focused on bringing your whole self and working together to support farmers to overcome barriers and challenges through educational supports and resources.
YA COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR
Are you a born storyteller who can plant a seed with a sentence? Do you dream up creative ideas, and live for sharing them with the world? Can you think big picture and then bring your vision to life through language and images? Are you always up on the latest trends in social media? Can you multi-task multiple memes and campaigns, to create meaningful engagement with audiences?
If you’re a communications whiz with farming in your heart, YA is looking for you! We are seeking a dynamic person capable of taking a leadership role to tell the story of new and young ecological farmers in Canada. The primary focus of this position will be to coordinate communications activities across the staff and contractor team in support of YA programs.
This position will be supervised by the Executive Director and Special Projects Coordinator. Pending funding, the ideal candidate will be able to continue to work with YA on a longer-term basis.
COMPENSATION & HOURS
- July 4, 2022 – June 2, 2023 (11 months)
- Employment: $27/hour, 32/hours/week
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement results-driven strategic communications to support and advance YA programs.
- Coordinate communications activities including: social media campaigns, blogs, mailchimp campaigns, and other external outreach
- Increase visibility of the organization through effective online communications.
- Develop engaging messaging and effective storytelling approaches.
- Manage YA social media community across channels, including coordinating scheduling, posting and evaluating engagement, as well as responding to social media, email, and some phone inquiries.
- Write compelling copy, copy edit, and proofread all outgoing communications materials with a keen eye for detail and consistent YA voice.
- Engage and utilize the youngagrarians.org wordpress blog to share content, resources, opportunities, events, and press coverage.
- Create and manage events on Eventbrite.
- Import newsletter subscribers into Salesforce.
- Evaluate communications activities to analyze effectiveness, update strategy, and support project reporting to funders. Develop and implement new evaluation strategies as needed.
- Develop press releases for particular media outlets and audience segments.
- Identify key media outlets and journalists and maintain press contact lists.
- Grow our year-end fundraising campaign via mailchimp and social media. Design campaigns, gather farmer testimonials, track and evaluate campaigns year over year. Thank donors.
- Post farm jobs and internships on our online Job Board.
- Create compelling graphics to support outreach activities, and approve other organizational graphics according to branding guidelines
- High personal motivation, timeline and self-management.
- Ability to take responsibility to meet deadlines and make progress without direct day-to-day supervision.
- Excellent administration, documentation, outreach, communications, relationship and community-building skills.
- Emotional intelligence: brings a positive vibe and solid communication skills to the workplace.
- An understanding of the food system and ecological farming.
- Cultural competencies and sensitivity.
- Non-profit and charity experience.
- Strategic thinking through communications planning, metric tracking, decision-making, stakeholder and team engagement.
- The ideal candidate will be up-to-date on best practices for social media and website engagement.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to the existing project management systems in place including spreadsheets and workplans.
- There will be multiple projects to multi-task and prioritize throughout the work day.
- Demonstrated workflow experience and computer know-how including: SEO, Photo, Video and Graphic Editing Software (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, Canva), Google Workplace, Google Hangouts, Zoom, MS Office, Excel/Spreadsheets, Mailchimp, WordPress, and CRM (Salesforce)
- The successful applicant is expected to be able to jump in and work within the existing technology ecosystem. There are limitations to in-house training capacity, although there are some Standard Operating Procedures in place and continuous peer-to-peer knowledge sharing.
- Ability to work remotely including a home office with computer, solid internet and either a landline or cellular phone reception/service.
Please send a PDF cover letter and resume as one document to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following file name: Firstname Lastname – Communications Coordinator.pdf
Please answer the following questions either within a cover letter, or in a short 3-5 minute video. If by video, please include a hyperlink in the body of your job application email.
- What is motivating you to apply?
- What skills can you bring to this position?
- What do you think makes for good communications in today’s media landscape?
Please also include examples of social media content you have created.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will not be available for phone calls or lengthy email inquiries. If you have 1-2 questions, please ask by email. Thank you for your time and interest!