July 23rd, 2013
COMMUNICATIONS CONTRACT POSITION
BC Young Agrarians
Young Agrarians (YA), in partnership with FarmFolk CityFolk, is focused on networking young ecological farmers and supporting the next generation to take up food production and farming. Our key areas of program development are: community building through on-going events on farms and young farmer mixers, communications development (website and social media), land access through land linking and knowledge transfer through peer networks and mentorship.
We are looking for a dynamic individual who can take a leadership role within a conentrated timeline. Your role will be to develop and implement a communications plan to launch our new and improved youngagrarians.org, interactive Resource Map and Land Access Guide. The on-line Resource Map is focused on pulling together information and projects relevant to new entrants into agro-ecology: education, infrastructure, apprenticeships, jobs, land, organizations, farms and more. The Land Access Guide leads the reader through a process of assessing whether they are ready to start a farm business, what the options are for land access, how to assess land for agricultural suitability, how to negotatiate a land access agreement and more. Young Agrarians will coordinate our first land linking events in the Fall in three BC farm communities and will need support to promote and outreach for these events.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Develop communications and outreach plan and strategy to launch youngagrarians.org, the Resource Map and Land Access Guide;
- Implement strategy throughout duration of contract;
- Develop collateral materials with graphic designer;
- Create press kit and distribute;
- Develop press list;
- Coordinate volunteer engagement to further develop Resource Map;
- Engage and utilize social media;
- Support development of Land Linking events through promotion and communications;
- General program support if time constraints allow;
- Create a wrap-up report on the project providing recommendations of best practices and next steps.
- Proven track record developing and implementing communications and outreach plans;
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in sustainable / ecological / organic agriculture and / or food production;
- Working proficiency and ease with press, multi-media, wordpress and social media;
- Ability to work with databases;
- High personal motivation, self-management and detail-orientation;
- Ability to take responsibility to meet deadlines and make progress without direct supervision;
- Excellent outreach, communications, relationship and community-building skills;
- Extensive contractor experience working with a variety of individuals and organizations to meet deliverables;
- Bachelor’s / College degree in communications or equivalent experience.
Deadline for applicants: August 1st, 2013
Contract Dates: @ August 7th – December 7th, 2013
Contract Amount: $13,000 / @ $25 hour (4 months, 32.5 hrs/week)
Please send a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
This contract position has been made possible through the generous assistance of the Organic Sector Development Program – Investement Agriculture Foundation of B.C.
Photo of the beautiful banner made by the South Interior Young Agrarians Hub!