Yasodhara Ashram is located in the rural community of Kootenay Bay. This summer we are offering 4 Food Flow (Preserving Kitchen, Garden/Orchard, Kitchen) internships, providing hands-on experience from field to table.
Please note the deadline for Garden/Orchard Applications in March 15th.
Internships are for people who have a skill base and/or experience that lends itself to a particular area of the Ashram. In an internship you will spend approximately 75% of your time in your designated area. You may also be assigned to the general work schedule of the Ashram (Grounds, Maintenance, Accommodations/Hospitality, Garden/Orchard, Kitchen/Summer Kitchen or general administration) as needed.
The program is based on experiential and self-led learning within a guided mentorship. This is a unique opportunity to deepen your skill-set at the same time as you offer service and expand your own self-understanding. Interns participate in Karma Yoga six days a week and receive the support of an Ashram liaison person, in addition to your area mentor. Weekly classes, daily reflection, morning yoga classes, and evening satsangs enrich this program. We are a carbon neutral organization and use sustainable/green practices.
An internship will provide the opportunity to explore and practice:
- Practical skills and knowledge related to that area
- Organizational tools and people skills such as
- Time management
- Planning and facilitation
- Coordination and communication
- Sustaining harmonious work/service environment
While these are not paid staff positions, they are spiritual and career/life development opportunities. Modest stipends are available to those who have a financial need (please note that modest stipends are available to Canadian citizens only). Internships offer free room and board, which includes shared accommodation and meals.
Length of Stay
Internship lengths vary between 4 – 12 months. All internships have a one-month trial period.
HELPFUL SKILLS & ABILITIES
- A curiosity and openness to explore living in a spiritual community
- Ability to multi-task, oversee big picture and day to day tasks
- Communication skills for reporting, cooperation and instruction
- Ability to prioritize and adjust plans easily
- Organizational skills (records, tools, people, plants)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work in a changing environment
- Keen observation
- A desire to bring care into all actions
- Knowledge of plants, soil, compost and insect pest management an asset
- Interest and knowledge about food and sustainability
Interested in Applying ? Find out more: Internships