Young Agrarians is hiring an Administration & Special Projects Lead!
RELATIONAL > TECHNICAL > ORGANIZED
DEADLINE TO APPLY: March 31, 2021
ABOUT Young Agrarians
Young Agrarians (YA) is a farmer-to-farmer educational resource network for new and young ecological farmers in Canada. We recognize the Indigenous lands and territories that we work on and alongside, and are committed to providing programs and services that are inclusive and available to farmers and friends of diverse backgrounds. Since 2012, our network is volunteer-driven, with farmers across the country organizing on-farm events and building community to create spaces for knowledge sharing and growth. YA began as a seed of an idea and since has grown into a dynamic network and set of programs to work to address the needs of new and young ecological farmers in Canada.
YA’s Grow-a-Farmer Strategy currently delivers the following programs:
- National: aggregates resources and opportunities online;
- National: coordinates educational and networking events on and off farms year round, and e-learning;
- Prairies: on-farm apprenticeship training program in regenerative agriculture;
- BC & Alberta: provides land access programming and supports; and,
- BC: facilitates business mentorships.
YA works to grow the sector by supporting new entrants through farmer-to-farmer learning. The theory of change is to engage new and young farmers, and the farm-curious online, bring them together to network and learn together on and off farms and through e-learning, support access to training opportunities and resources, and when ready to start farms, provide technical assistance to access land, business readiness tools, and mentorship. The long-term goal is to increase the number of new, viable, and ecological farmers in Canada.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diverse communities we collaborate with and serve. The organizational culture is focused on bringing your whole self, and working together to support farmers to overcome barriers and challenges at the grassroots and institutional levels.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
In Year 1 – the YA Administration & Special Projects Lead will be responsible for transitioning organizational administration into one role, and providing support for governance coordination and special projects as needed. Key duties include supporting financial administration, grant support, and project management. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and Program Management Team.
- Provide administrative support to the Executive Director and key management staff as needed;
- Manage organizational administration ranging from maintaining accounts to society filings;
- Support with email management and meeting coordination;
- Support with grants, reporting, and other special projects as needed;
- Financial administration;
- Administration for governance coordination, advisory development, and young farmer engagement;
- Maintain contact records through Salesforce.
- Experience working in the non-profit and charitable sectors. Knowledge of food and farming.
- Relationship-focused: brings a positive vibe to the workplace and working with stakeholders.
- A love for process-oriented workflow and administration. Self-motivated, detail oriented, able to set and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work as part of a remote team. Passion for working collaboratively with staff and contractors, and be part of a positive working environment.
- Fluency working with computers and ability to learn new software programs as required. Applications include: Spreadsheets, Google Drive, MS Office, Facebook, Mailchimp, WordPress and Salesforce.
- Must have a computer, phone and high-speed Internet connection.
COMPENSATION & HOURS
- Starting rate: $27/hr, 32-35/hrs/week until March 31st, 2022. Staff agreement renewed annually.
- Please send a cover letter and resume or video and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For a cover letter and resume please send as one PDF with the cover letter first and resume second, and save your first and last name as the file name.
- For a video and resume application, please include a hyperlink to the video in the email body, and attach resume (save your first and last name as the resume file name).
- Please let us know your responses to the following questions:
- What is motivating you to apply?
- What skills can you bring to the organization?
- How do you feel about administration and project management?
- Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will not be available for phone calls or lengthy email inquiries. If you have 1-2 questions, please ask by email. Thank you for your time and interest!