Young Agrarians is looking for an event coordinator to organize our next series of farm loving events in the Kootenays! Please share and help us find the right person for the job. Details below:
BC Young Agrarians
Young Agrarians (YA), a partnership with FarmFolk CityFolk, is focused on growing the next generation of ecological farmers in BC. YA is an online and offline network strategy to engage new and potential entrants into agro-ecology. Our main activities are: on-farm potlucks / tours / work bees, young farmer mixers, educational and land linking workshops, a pilot mentorship program, and online community engagement and tools creation.
We are looking for a dynamic individual who can take a leadership role within a tight timeframe. Your main role will be to coordinate a 2-day March 2014, Kootenays Young Farmer Mixer. After the Mixer, the selected candidate will continue to act as a communications hub in the bioregion for on-going activities at 5-10 hours per month. You will also organize one year-end Land Linking Workshops (late November – early December). Young Agrarians is ideally looking for a farmer who needs off-season work. This position will be supported by both the Young Agrarians BC Coordinator and Communications Coordinator.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate Mixer logistics including: venue, outreach, volunteer engagement, program schedule and budget;
- Event manage weekend of Mixer;
- Create and disseminate outreach and promotional kit;
- Support development of Kootenays press and contact lists;
- Act as touchpoint person in Kootenays after Mixer to support farmers to organize and get the word out about on-going Young Agrarians events;
- Engage and utilize youngagrarians.org blog, social media channels, and add information to the Farm Resource Map;
- Coordinate one land linking workshop fall (late November / early December) of 2014;
- Support evaluation and impact assessment of events through tracking tools;
- Create a short wrap-up report on the year providing recommendations of best practices and next steps for the bioregion.
- Proven track record coordinating events, working with volunteers and delivering programs within budget;
- Joy and ease outreaching and engaging multi-stakeholders;
- Farm/er Literate: minimum 2 years of experience in sustainable / ecological / organic agriculture and / or food production;
- Working proficiency with press, multi-media, wordpress, mailchimp and social media;
- High personal motivation, self-management and detail-orientation;
- Ability to take responsibility to meet deadlines and make progress without direct supervision;
- Excellent outreach, communications, relationship and community-building skills.
Deadline for applicants: January 5, 3014
Contract Dates: January 14th – December 14th, 2014
Contract Amount: $7,500 (hourly rate to be negotiated depending on experience)
Please send a resume and cover letter to Sara Dent: email@example.com
This contract position has been made possible through the generous assistance of Columbia Basin Trust and Vancity Community Foundation.
Photos of White Crow Farm by Syd Woodward: Over Grow The System